Sunday, January 16, 2011

Rags, Tangos, Preludes and Fugues

The next concert in the ClaverackLanding Classical Series at Club Helsinki is coming up next Sunday, January 23. The concert features renowned pianist and conductor Joshua Rifkin, who "'created, almost alone, the Scott Joplin revival,' helped popularize the tangos of Ernesto Nazareth, and played a leading renegade role in interpreting Bach's vocal works." In this rare U.S. performance, Rifkin offers a Hudson audience the chance to experience "the driving complexity and sublime beauty of J. S. Bach next to the expressive world of ragtime and the tango--in many ways the same expressive world--poised delicately between exuberance and melancholy."

The concert begins at 4 p.m. Visit the Club Helsinki website for more information and to make reservations. 

1 comment:

  1. A reader forwarded this post about Joshua Rifkin's concert to a friend who teaches master flute classes at the Missouri Conservatory of Music in Kansas City, and here's what she had to say:

    "Cool! Are you going? I think it should be very good.

    "I've heard his Bach Ensemble (they played in KC years ago) and it was magnificent. (He is known for performances of Bach Cantatas using just one singer on a part instead of multiple voices, and I really liked it.). . . And I'm pretty sure I still have his legendary LP of Scott Joplin rags, which he recorded years ago and which helped popularize that music.

    "Not sure he'd be my top choice for tango piano playing, only because I prefer 'the real thing,' the great Argentine tango pianists, but I would still definitely go to this concert if I were in that neck of the woods next week, as it would still be great music and fine playing. He is a VERY talented and interesting musician and a terrific pianist. I wish I could be there!"

    ReplyDelete