Monday, May 2, 2011

The Silence of Gossips

Gossips doesn't cover national and international news. That fact explains today's silence, since the biggest thing--the only thing--in the news today was the death of Osama bin Laden. Still, I'm loath to let a day go by in total silence.   

I won't to try to communicate how I felt when, early this morning, I saw the images in a New York Times slide show of jubilant Americans cheering the death of a villain. I won't tell how I was involuntarily reminded of images from ten years ago of people in the Middle East celebrating the fall of the World Trade Center. I won't relate how I deliberately called to mind the images of Americans reveling in Times Square on V-J Day. I won't share my observation that 1945 was different: they were celebrating the end of war and the return of peace not the death of an enemy. I will, however, direct you to the comments of others: David Seth Michaels writing on his blog, The Dream Antilles, and David Sirota, writing for Salon.  

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Carole, for breaking your silence. I too look to another commentator whose voice remains so tellingly apropos across the years. "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." ~Martin Luther King Jr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Killing Bin Laden isn't going to fix the root problem of terrorism. I'm happy to be rid of him, but he will be replaced by others of the same ilk. We can probably anticipate that Al Queda will strike again soon just to prove to their supporters that the organization is still operational.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems to me the people who blew up the twin towers all died on 911. It would have been more constructive to bring Bin Laden back for trial, rather than assassinate him mafia style and dump his body in the ocean. But that would make sense, and would be out of character with everything that has happened the past ten years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who will be our next "Emmanuel Goldstein?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. no celebrations. no shrines. simple justice.

    btw...an interesting, thoughtful but evidently incorrect MLK quote. he never said it...the first sentence is not his.

    ReplyDelete