The following is an excerpt from the booklet Illustrated Hudson, N.Y., published in 1905.
SAM PARKER--Coal and Ice Company. 35 and 37 Mill street. Col. Phone 222, H. R. Phone 55-W. This is the largest enterprise of its kind in the city, and one that has taken the front rank in products of its kind. The business was first established in 1857, and Mr. Sam Parker has been sole proprietor for the past six years, having at that time succeeded to the business on the death of his brother. The large yard occupied is 75x100 feet, having a yearly output of 4,000 tons of ice and a sale of 2,500 tons of coal. He makes a specialty of supplying public buildings with coal and ice. The quality of the products are such as to please the patrons in every way, and the full value for the money is always given. The large business done gives employment to a force of ten men, while a number of teams are always engaged in making deliveries. Phone him when you want coal and ice in a hurry.
Gossips Note: Mill Street, which today ends at Second Street and links up with Dock Street, once crossed Second and went straight to North Bay. Sam Parker's Coal and Ice Company was probably located on the south side of Mill Street, in the stretch west of New Road, across the street from the C. H. Evans Brewery.