Back in February, when the plans for the revised facade at 364 Warren Street came before the Historic Preservation Commission, Gossips mused about how and when the building had lost its gable.
There is photographic evidence that the gable which was part of the building when it was built in 1805 remained intact at least until 1905. The picture below, found on The Cascades website, shows that by 1938, when the picture was taken, the gable was gone, and the roof line was as it is today. So, when did the change happened?
The picture below, from Historic Hudson's Rowles Studio Collection, very likely provides the answer. Dated March 6, 1919, it shows firefighters battling a fire in the building--a fire that seems to have broken through the roof. The gable was no doubt eliminated when the damage from the fire was repaired.