Three years ago, Sam Pratt blogged about the archive of Walker Evans' photographs at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, so this image should have been recognized instantly as Evans' work, and it was. Examining the image as it appears on the museum's website reveals that the number on the street level door is 454 and it is the door to the office of Dr. Galster--Dr. Henry C. Galster, a physician who in 1931, when the photograph was taken, had practiced medicine in Hudson for at least two decades. The building is 454 Warren Street, and presumably, in 1931, Dr. Galster and his family lived in the house and the doctor had his office on the ground floor.
So the question arises of when this house, with its wonderfully ornate door surround and railings leading to the parlor floor entrance, became the building we know today.
|Photo credit: Alan Coon|
Based on this information, it is reasonable to conclude that the parlor floor entrance, with its elaborate door surround and handsome railings, was eliminated sometime in 1946, when the house was "rearranged to meet the needs of a medical building." There is reason to believe that the door surround was salvaged and reappeared elsewhere, but that's a story for another time.
COPYRIGHT 2014 CAROLE OSTERINK
Thanks to Alan Coon and Jason Smith inspiring this post