Monday, March 6, 2017

By Your Dog They Shall Know You

MICROPOLITAN DIARY
Dear Diary,
I go to PetSmart a lot--perhaps more than I go to ShopRite. Whenever I go to PetSmart, I take Joey with me. They welcome dogs, and Joey likes the outing. When we walk through the front door, it's like Norm Peterson entering Cheers. Everyone knows Joey's name, and they call it out when they see him.
Joey and I were at PetSmart late yesterday afternoon. When I got home with our bag of goodies, I discovered there was a problem. I wanted to rectify it right away, so I called the store. When my call was referred to the store manager, I opened the conversation by identifying myself, using my own name. After I had explained the problem, the young woman asked, "Is this Joey's mom?"
I should have said that in the first place.
"Micropolitan Diary" is Gossips' homage to and blatant imitation of "Metropolitan Diary" in the New York Times. The term micropolitan was coined (by Gossips) because Hudson is a metropolis in microcosm.
COPYRIGHT 2017 CAROLE OSTERINK

1 comment:

  1. Yes. Horseback riders--fox hunters and the like--often know each other mostly by their horses, and are slow to recognize each other when the horse is nowhere near. “Oh yes, I know you--you ride XYZ!"

    ReplyDelete