The house is commonly thought to be the oldest house in Hudson, predating the arrival of the Proprietors in 1783. Because of its gambrel roof, it is often believed to be a Dutch house, the contemporary of such 18th-century houses as the Conyn-Van Rennselaer House (1767) and the Cornelius S. Muller House (1766) in Claverack. The truth is it is not Dutch, and, although among the oldest houses in Hudson, it does not predate the arrival of the Proprietors. According to city historian Pat Fenoff, whose family lived in the house decades ago, the house is an example of English vernacular architecture and was built in the 1790s for Robert Taylor, who had a tannery across the road, on the edge of South Bay.
Since 2014, not much has happened with the house except a chain-link fence was erected it around it in 2015 after a hole in the north wall was attributed to someone trying to break in.
Since then, things have only gotten worse.
The proposal to convert the house into a tavern was an exciting possibility for its survival. There were partners in the plan, experienced and respected local players in the hospitality industry. As a DRI project, its timely completion and historically appropriate restoration were guaranteed. But, alas, the decision to pull all the projects proposed by the Galvan Foundation from the DRI Investment Plan meant that this one had to go as well. It is a loss for all of Hudson, because, although it is currently owned by Galvan, it is part of Hudson's history and hence belongs to us all.
COPYRIGHT 2018 CAROLE OSTERINK