In the early years of this century, the grand house at 345 Allen Street underwent a transformation, gaining an imposing two-story Greek Revival portico that it didn't have before.
This wasn't the first time a new owner of the house chose to reinterpret its design. A little more than a hundred years earlier, in 1901, Malcolm Gifford, grandson of Elihu Gifford, who established the Gifford Foundry in 1863, and vice president of the family business, then known as Gifford-Wood Company, bought the house and had it remodeled in Colonial Revival style. A item that appeared in the Columbia Republican on April 4, 1901, reveals that Edmund Denegar, who built 35 South Fifth Street for himself in 1888, was to be the contractor for the remodeling, which promised to transform the grand house into "a mansion of architectural beauty entirely different from anything now to be seen" in "that aristocratic section of the city."
To Gossips' knowledge, there is photographic documentation of what the house looked like before the 1901 remodeling, but there is a record of its appearance before its most recent transformation.
The one-story portico of the 1901 reconfiguration was in harmony not only with the two bays on either side of the house but was also in harmony with the one-story porches and porticoes found on the rest of the houses in this "aristocratic section of the city."
COPYRIGHT 2018 CAROLE OSTERINK