On Friday, at the Historic Preservation Commission meeting, the plans were unveiled for the next stage in the life of 364 Warren Street, now owned by the Galvan Initiatives Foundation.
The building was originally constructed in 1805, and early pictures show it with a front gable.
The picture above includes the First Presbyterian Church across the street, appearing as it did between 1837, when it was constructed, and 1876, when it was expanded and redesigned in Gothic style, as we know it today.
It is not known when the gable on 364 Warren Street was removed. Carl Whitbeck, counsel to the Historic Preservation Commission, gave the impression that it happened in 1980, when, according to him, the building was "completely rebuilt," but giving that impression may have been unintentional.
An observant reader and researcher extraordinaire brought to Gossips' attention the photograph below, which appears on The Cascades website.
The photograph shows 407 Warren Street, the location of The Cascades, at the left, and at the right, in the background, is 364 Warren Street, with its flat roof and cornice and what appears might be a row of eyebrow windows.
If those are eyebrow windows, they appear to be closer to the cornice than the ones now being proposed for the building.
There's a date written in the lower right-hand corner of the picture, which is cropped off in the photograph that appears on The Cascades website but is there on the image in the Historic Hudson digital archive: Aug. 12, 1938. The picture is evidence that the gable was gone and the cornice was there in 1938, but it is still not known when the transformation took place.
COPYRIGHT 2014 CAROLE OSTERINK
Historic photographs courtesy Historic Hudson