Friday, November 30, 2012

Surprising Development reports today that Will Pflaum, who first exposed what he called "Sleepergate," has shut down his blog Hudson Sunshine and explains the situation the caused Pflaum to take this action.

Hudson in the News . . . Near and Far

Olde Hudson and the Inn at Hudson were the subjects of articles in Remodelista: Sourcebook for Considered Living.

Marina Abramovich was in Abu Dhabi recently, where, in an interview for Gulf News, she talked about her plans for an institute for performing arts here in Hudson: "The memory as the canvas."

Thanks to H. A. and B. H for bringing these articles to Gossips attention.

Galvan Watch

Gossips has learned that the ownership of three parcels on North Fifth Street has recently been transferred from Galvan Partners LLC to the not-for-profit Galvan Initiatives Foundation and a fourth property in that neighborhood has been acquired by the Galvan Initiatives Foundation. The parcels that have been transferred are the Armory, 61-71 North Fifth Street (the "Armory Houses"), and 72 North Fifth. The property recently acquired is 76-78 North Fifth--which, in the "Galloway Gallery," would be Exhibit 33.

61-71 North Fifth Street

72 North Fifth Street

76-78 North Fifth Street

Prior to the recent transfers, the Galvan Initiatives Foundation owned two properties: 400 State Street, which was purchased from the Hudson Area Library, and the ballfield on Hudson Street, which was purchased from the Hudson Elks Club.

In April 2012, Debby Mayer, writing for the Columbia Paper, calculated that Eric Galloway, through his various LLCs and not-for-profits, owned two percent of the taxable property in Hudson: "He 'collects' Hudson." Since then Galloway has has continued to acquire property. It should be noted, however, that ownership by a not-for-profit does not automatically take a parcel off the tax rolls. So far, none of the properties owned by the Galvan Initiatives Foundation is exempt from property taxes. City assessor Garth Slocum told Gossips that the Galvan Initiatives Foundation had applied for tax exempt status for 400 State Street last year, but the application was incomplete, and so far a complete application has not been submitted.

Tales from the Department of Public Works

DPW Superintendent Rob Perry's report at Wednesday night's Common Council Public Works Committee meeting contained a few items definitely worthy of sharing.

Survivors of Sandy  The little buildings of Santa's Village, called unkindly by some "Santa's Slum," have once again been installed in the Public Square, just in time for Winter Walk. The buildings required more sprucing up than usual this year because, stored as they were beside the DPW garage on Dock Street, they were flooded during Hurricane Sandy. Annual repairs were also made to the "old and tattered" animatronic characters that appear inside the village buildings.  

When the village reappears in the park each year, there is sentiment among some for retiring it or for directing some of the enormous artistic talent and ingenuity that has found its way to Hudson toward refurbishing the village to restore its intended quaintness and charm. Perry made it clear that he would happily entertain a volunteer effort to renew and improve the village and would provide the work space needed to carry out the project.

Disaster Averted  Perry's report also included an account of a grave that had to be dug recently in the oldest part of the Hudson City Cemetery. Because the grave was on a hill surrounded by ancient tombstones, the equipment now used for digging graves could not be brought to the site. The grave had to be dug by hand, and the vault inserted into the grave by hand. At one point, the enormously heavy vault escaped the workers' grasp and started sliding down the hill. Fortunately, as Perry told the story, "it got hung up on a corner marker," because the vault was heading, "like a giant rectangular bowling ball," straight for the section of the cemetery dedicated to the Grand Army of the Republic.

Let There Be Light  It has been decided that again this year the fairy lights will remain in the trees along Warren Street until the return of Daylight Saving Time on March 10. 

Also on the topic of light, Perry predicted that, unless we have an extremely mild winter and work can begin earlier, the installation of the new streetlamps on upper Warren Street, from Park Place to Worth Avenue, will begin it April. It is anticipated that the project will take from 8 to 10 weeks.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Food News

As we wait with eager anticipation for Zak Pelaccio's new restaurant to open on South Third Street, a modest eatery around the corner on Warren Street, which had been a fixture in the 300 block for at least twenty years, has gone away. The circumstances surrounding the departure of Kennedy Fried Chicken are murky, involving an illegal sublet (it seems the business was sold without the knowledge or consent of the owner of the building where it was located), thousands in unpaid rent, and imminent eviction, and as a consequence lower Warren Street has lost a business reminiscent of the way things were and a source of fried chicken, "fish fry," and, on occasion, Indian food. 

There's an upside to the situation for dog walkers: this stretch of Warren Street is now free of chicken bones. It's an ill wind that blows nobody good.

Hudson in 1905: Part 94

The following is an excerpt from the booklet Illustrated Hudson, N.Y., published in 1905.

LOUI COSTA--Wholesale and Retail Dealer in Fruits, Nuts, and Candies. No. 257 and 621½ Warren street. Mr. Costa has recently taken in a partner, and the title of the firm is now Loui Costa & Company. This company conduct one of the most important and successful business enterprises in the city, and have been engaged in such for the last fifteen years. They are both wholesale and retail dealers, and make it a special point to get their goods down to the lowest cash prices in town. They are managers of two large stores, both of which are excellently situated in the business portions of Warren street. They deal largely and almost exclusively in fruits, nuts, and candies, with specialties in the line of imported fruits and an enormous stock of Virginia peanuts. Such goods are always kept on hand. As a side issue, cigars, tobaccos and soft drinks are sold. Three men are engaged to assist in the management of the stores, and one wagon is used for the prompt delivery of orders.

257 Warren Street today--Lili and Loo

621 Warren Street today--Bavier Brook

Gossips Note: For the past three months, we've been serializing the content of  Illustrated Hudson, N.Y., and exploring the businesses that existed here more than a hundred years ago. The exercise has provided a real sense of life in Hudson at the dawn of the last century, and many have enjoyed loitering in that bygone era. But, alas, all good things must come to an end, and with today's offering, we have come to the end of Illustrated Hudson, N.Y., appropriately perhaps for the holiday season with a dealer in fruits, nuts, and candies.     

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Florida Weighs In

Today our local brouhaha over the Pledge of Allegiance and journalistic integrity was the subject of media comment in Tampa, Florida: "The Pledge of Allegiance rules mock idea of freedom." 

Hudson in 1905: Part 93

The following is an excerpt from the booklet Illustrated Hudson, N.Y., published in 1905.

CONNELLY BROTHERS--Bakers and Confectioners. Nos. 7 and 9 North Third street. H. R. Telephone 9-A. For a choice line of goods in their particular business there is no better place to go than to the store conducted by the Connelly Brothers. They started in this establishment only a few years ago, and have now one of the most genteel trades in Hudson. They solicit private business, feeling that they can guarantee the highest satisfaction in that particular way. Their store is exquisitely appointed and the quality of the goods placed on the market by this firm has never been known to vary from its high state of perfection. Three experienced bakers and confectioners are kept busy by the many orders that come in continually. There are two clerks engaged to take care of the store trade. The proprietors are Messrs. T. and J. Connelly, both of whom are thoroughly reliable business men.

7 and 9 North Third Street today--on the side of the still vacant 260 Warren Street
Gossips Note: When I was taking the above picture this past weekend, I noticed for the first time that the building's windows, which had been covered with flapping sheets of plastic (see picture below), were now securely boarded up. Although I am not certain when this change was made, it happened at some point after Gossips' November 4 post "Welcome to Hudson." An email to Peter Wurster to ask if the Code Enforcement Office had any role in this action went unanswered.

Of Teachers and Salaries

Nathan Mayberg reports in today's Register-Star that the Hudson City School District has finally reached an agreement with the Hudson Teachers' Association: "Hudson school board approves contract with teacher's union." It seems that only those teachers already receiving the highest salaries--the "most experienced teachers and department heads"--will receive an increase in pay. The rest will see no change in salary through 2014.

On the topic of salaries for HCSD teachers and administrators, Lynn Sloneker on her blog Unmuffled reports on the latest data available at SeeThroughNY: "SeeThroughNY releases 2012 school earnings." In Columbia and Greene counties, the Hudson City School District has the distinction of having the largest payroll, totaling $17.8 million, and the greatest number of employees who were paid $85,000 or more in 2012.

Tangentially related to all of this, Gossips recently discovered, listed in the Hudson City Directory for 1905, the names and addresses of all the principals and teachers in the Hudson schools of the time: the high school, the Fourth Street School, the Sixth Street School, and the Allen Street School. Not surprisingly, every one of them lived in Hudson, and many of them shared the same address. For example, Florence Cragin Allen, who taught Latin at the high school, Florence M. Andrews, who taught science at the high school, Margaret T. Daley, who taught fourth grade at the Sixth Street School, and Miss C. A. McFerron all lived at 610 Gifford Place (now Columbia Street). Mary H. Cohoon, who taught fourth grade at the Fourth Street School, Anna B. Larabee, who taught third grade at the Fourth Street School, and Agnes M. Smith. who taught fifth grade at the Allen Street School, lived at 12 North Fifth Street. The Misses Pultz--Jennie and Mary--who taught seventh grade and third grade respectively at the Sixth Street School, lived at 458 Partition Street. It was a different time.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Hudson in 1905: Part 92

The following is an excerpt from the booklet Illustrated Hudson, N.Y., published in 1905.

WM. J. McCUNE--Dealer in Groceries and Provisions. 101 Warren street. In a general review of the city of Hudson we take pleasure in calling attention to the business of Mr. Wm. J. McCune, which has been established here for ten years, and which has always held a leading place among the business houses of this kind in the city. The stock carried and the trade done is a large one, and therefore the quality of his goods is always fresh, being continually renewed to fill up the vacancies of the day's sales. He carries everything connected with a first-class business of this nature, and the most exacting housewife can always find what she desires here without going any farther. The large business done gives employment to four people, and free delivery is made at all times, for which purpose two wagons are constantly engaged. Mr. McCune is a hustler in the business and takes a great interest in all that is for the good of Hudson.

101 Warren Street today--Sam's Market & Deli

Monday, November 26, 2012

One Week Later

Gossips predicted that the situation at the Register-Star would be discussed on WAMC's The Media Project last Sunday, but that didn't happen. Instead, they talked about it yesterday and again this afternoon, and we missed it. But you can hear it on the WAMC website.

Micky and Lucky

Readers have been asking about Micky and Lucky, the pair of huskies in New York City who were in need of a new home. This morning Gossips learned that their human's dying wish has been fulfilled. A new home has been found for the dogs where they can continue to be together after their human has passed on.

Hudson in 1905: Part 91

The following is an excerpt from the booklet Illustrated Hudson, N.Y., published in 1905.

JESSE A. COOKE--Manufacturer and Wholesale and Retail Dealer in Choice Havana and Domestic Cigars. Office and factory, No. 349 Warren street. Mr. Cooke has had the advantage of only three years' location in the mercantile circles of Hudson, but in that time has succeeded in building up a most remarkable and profitable trade. He makes and handles cigars for the trade, besides carrying on a retail business. His store is very attractively appointed and stocked with a large variety of the best made cigars and tobaccos. A complete supply of pipes and smokers' articles is also in stock. Mr. Cooke is an experienced cigar maker and has had a good many years' training in the trade. He engages two assistants and keeps one man on the road representing the goods of the house. H. O. Cigar is a specialty.

349 Warren Street today--part of the 3FortySeven outdoor food court

More News About News

A reader brought to Gossips' attention a development in Bangor, Maine, that seems not entirely unlike something that happened recently right here in Rivertown: "Maine Anchors Resign Live On Air Citing Manipulation of News." 

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Hudson in 1905: Part 90

The following is an excerpt from the booklet Illustrated Hudson, N.Y., published in 1905.

J. M. JOHNS--Practical Horseshoer and Carriage Repairer. Corner Fourth and Diamond streets. Telephone, H. F. 56-A. Mr. Johns conducts a very extensive trade in the manner of horseshoeing and wagon repairing, and gives entire satisfaction to all those who come to him to have work done. He has been established here for the past thirteen years, and his business has grown so continually that he now engages two extra horseshoers and one carriage maker. The premises occupied by Mr. Johns are fully and completely equipped with all apparatus and appliances necessary to the proper carrying out of all work that comes under his superintendence, the most minute care being given to the making and repairing of carriages and wagons. 

The prices charged in all departments are the most reasonable, while patrons are assured of the finest work and the fairest treatment. No unnecessary delays need to be undergone on account of slight accidents, for Mr. Johns is always prepared to do all kinds of ordinary repairing while you wait. The setting of tires is one of the features of Mr. Johns' business. This he can do on the finest vehicles without heating or taking off the wheel, or any bolts, or in any way scratching the paint. He is agent for the famous "tire setter," a machine constructed especially for this work, of which the above is an illustration. These machines are sold for $75.00 cash or $100.00 on the installment plan. All work done by Mr. Jones is guaranteed to be first-class.  

401 Columbia Street, the site of J. M. Johns' business, today

Coming Up Next Week

There are two events coming up next week of interest to hungry foodies in Hudson. 

The first, happening on Friday, November 30, is the return of LICK: The Market. Hudson's favorite ice cream parlor transforms itself into an indoor farmers' market for the winter months, offering everything needed for eating well--leafy greens, mushrooms, apples, cheese, milk, yogurt, pesto, bread, pasta, meats, fish--all from local growers, producers, and purveyors. Based on last year's hours, Gossips predicts the market will be open from noon to 7 p.m. on Friday and from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday.

On Saturday, December 1, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., many of the vendors from the Hudson Farmers' Market will reconvene in the Parish Hall at Christ Church for the first of four Holiday Markets. All the favorite vendors will be there--The Farm at Miller's Crossing, The Red Barn, Pigasso Farm, Northern Star Farm, Cedar Flower Farm--offering vegetables, meat, milk products, baked goods, handmade gifts, and other things needed for the holiday season.

Remembering the Star Theater

Some have heard that 510 Warren Street was once a movie theater, but few--if any--remember what the building looked like in those days. Yesterday, Bob Rasner sent Gossips this post card image of the Star Theater in its heyday.

The facade of 510 Warren Street today

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Hudson in 1905: Part 89

The following is an excerpt from the booklet Illustrated Hudson, N.Y., published in 1905.

MAX J. GROSSMAN--Clothing and Gents' Furnishing, Merchant Tailoring. No. 560 Warren street. Mr. Grossman has been identified with the above business for the past two years, and in that time has succeeded in building up a most remarkable and successful trade. He handles an excellent line of clothing, offering the best ready made suits in the market, at the most reasonable prices. The men's furnishing department of the store contains the finest of everything in that particular line, and the goods are all warranted to give satisfaction. During the short time Mr. Grossman has been in business he has secured a large following and patronage. His specialty is merchant tailoring, making suits from $15 up, every suit guaranteed to be a fit or money refunded. A fine line of woolens always carried in stock.

The building that stood at 560 Warren Street in 1905

The building at 560 Street today--Department of Motor Vehicles
Gossips Note: The Warren and Wetmore building now at 560 Warren Street was designed for the Hudson City Savings Institution and completed in 1910. The bank occupied the building until the mid-1990s, when it moved to Hudson City Centre, its new headquarters at State and Green streets.

What's News?

More evidence has emerged recently to help readers understand what the Register-Star officially considers news. (It will be recalled that this question played an integral role in the dismissal of Tom Casey and the resignation of Francesca Olsen, Billy Shannon, and Adam Shanks.) In today's Register-Star, the astounding workaholism of Tal Rappleyea, made manifest by the total hours of work billed to various towns, is mentioned in the paper for the first time, in the context of a story about the new attention being given to the billing practices of lawyers in the county attorney's office: "County attorney's office faces scrutiny over work hours." 

The story of Rappleyea's billing was originally uncovered by Will Pflaum and reported back in January on his blog Sunshine on the Hudson. Pflaum dubbed the story "Sleepergate," since it seemed that Rappleyea had to be billing for hours when he was asleep. On November 11, the Times Union ran, on the front page of its Sunday edition, an investigative report on the subject by former Register-Star reporter Jamie Larson: "Attorney math: 1 day = 26 hours." But the Register-Star mentions the story only today and only as the reason why billing in the county attorney's office is under scrutiny.

Also on the topic of newsworthiness, Lynn Sloneker, another former Register-Star reporter, recalls on her blog Unmuffled that "one of the Reg reporters involved [in the recent "dust-up" at the Register-Star] filled in for a colleague at the Nov. 5 Hudson City Board of Education meeting. That reporter sat through two hours' worth of the people's business, took few notes and wrote nothing. Not one word. Nada." Sloneker goes on to enumerate the issues discussed and acted on that night, which the unnamed reporter apparently did not consider newsworthy: "News worth reporting, or not?"

Friday, November 23, 2012

The Price of Bringing Back the Window

On Wednesday, the rose window in the facade of the First Presbyterian Church was covered for its and the public's protection. When Gossips reported about it on Monday, a reader asked how much repairing the window will cost. According to sources at the church, the estimated cost of repair is between $80,000 and $120,000.

Hudson in 1905: Part 88

The following is an excerpt from Illustrated Hudson, N.Y., published in 1905.

HOTEL ALBANY--Corner Union and Front streets. Andy Funk, proprietor. Mr. Funk established this business here two years ago, and since that time has built up a very fine patronage. His rooms are always kept neat and clean, and everything is done to make his guests comfortable in every way. The rates charged are $2.00 per day, and when all is taken into consideration the price is very moderate. A specialty of the house is the fine bar operated in connection, and here all the choicest viands that would appease the inner man are dispensed by a first-class mixer. Mr. Funk is a business man who knows how to cater to the trade he desires, and in this respect he has a fine business.

The site of the Hotel Albany today--the vacant lot at 28 South Front Street

Time and Again

Last month Gossips published a photograph sent by Tom D'Onofrio of the waterfront taken from the deck of the Hudson-Athens ferry and challenged readers to identify the buildings that appear in the picture. Timothy O'Connor set his own challenge: to take a picture today from the same vantage point on the river. Here is the result. 

What is clear from comparing the two pictures is that none of the buildings that appear in the earlier picture still exists today.   

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

Photo from

Hudson in 1905: Part 87

The following is an excerpt from the booklet, Illustrated Hudson, N.Y., published in 1905.

HUDSON PORTLAND CEMENT COMPANY--Manufacturers of Cement and Cement Products, Consisting of Cornices, Window Caps, Capitols, and Architectural Ornamentations of all Kinds--No industry in modern times has ever created a greater demand for its products than that of the HUDSON PORTLAND CEMENT COMPANY, which is not only the largest industry in the city but one of the largest of its kind in the world, with a plant valued at over a million dollars, it being capitalized at $6,000,000, of which $3,000,000 is preferred and $3,000,000 common stock. The buildings of this vast industry, of which there are twelve, cover an area of over three acres. It is entirely equipped with all the most modern ponderous machines connected with the business. The entire plant is operated by electricity, and is almost automatic in its operation. Each machine is controlled by an individual motor, so in case of any breakdown it does not retard the progress of the entire plant. The company operates its own railroad to the its quarries, which are located one and a half miles from the site of the mill. The mill is so located that it has shipping facilities either by rail or water to any point in the United States or the world in general, being at tidewater on the Hudson River and along the tracks of the main lines of the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad and a branch line of the Boston and Albany. In their product this company uses a mixture of shale rock with their lime rock that is superior to any used for the manufacture of cement in this country, and is consistent in its uniformity, strength, and color. They own over 1,700 acres of land, most of which is productive of the ingredients used in the manufacture of cement. In the day and night shifts combined there are employed 300 men, 80 0f which are in the quarries and 20 in the shale beds. The output of the plant is 2,000 barrels of cement a day.

The Hudson Portland Cement Company has been organized for four years, and has been in active operation for the past two years, and in this short space of time the business of the firm has grown to such proportions that their present facilities are overtaxed to meet the demands made upon them for the project, which has proven its superiority in every test to which it has been applied. The accumulation of orders has been so rapid as to render their present facilities inadequate to supply the demands made upon them, and which has necessitated the contemplation of erecting a still larger plant than that now in operation. The gentlemen who form this company are too well known in the financial world to require any exhaustive review here other than that they are men who have won prominence through their exceptionable executive ability. Mr. L. C. Smith, its president, was formerly president of the Smith Premier Typewriter Company, and is now president of the L. C. Smith & Bros. Typewriter Company, president of the National Bank of Syracuse, the United States Transportation Company, and treasurer of the Globe Navigation Company. Mr. F. B. Scott, its vice-president, it also president of the Syracuse Supply Company, and vice-president of the Syracuse Arms Company, Star Lake Land Company, and the Palisades Land Company. Mr. M. Lyman Smith, secretary and treasurer, is also identified with his father in many large enterprises. Mr. E. Bravender, superintendent and general manger, is a pioneer in the manufacture of Portland Cement, and has been connected with many of the largest plants of this kind in the United States and Canada, which he has been instrumental in constructing, having not only the knowledge which comes with experience but the faculty which makes a successful manager and inventor of new methods.

A Group of Views of the Cement Plant and Quarries from Illustrated Hudson [upper left] A View of the Plant from the North; [upper right] The Shale Beds; [lower left] The Rock Quarry; [lower right] A View of the Plant from the South

Hudson Portland Cement Company's Plant--View from the River

Update on the Senior Center

As Gossips reported in October, the bids for constructing the senior center exceeded the $780,000 the City has to spend on the project by more than a half million dollars. At Tuesday night's Common Council meeting, the Council voted unanimously to reject all the bids. It's not clear what the next step will be, but grant consultant John "Duke" Duchessi advised that it would be unlikely that the City could get permission to repurpose the grant money received from the Community Development Block Grant. John Mason has the story in today's Register-Star: "Common council rejects bids for senior center addition." 

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Hudson in 1905: Part 86

The following is an excerpt from the booklet Illustrated Hudson, N.Y., published in 1905.

J. T. RIDER--The oldest dealer in Pianos and Organs now in the city. The store is located at 605 Warren street, and has been established since 1887. Both telephones are used: H. R. 144-R, Col. 110. Here may be found a full line of the standard makes of pianos and organs to select from, as well as musical instruments of all kinds, sheet music, and books. The special makes of pianos on sale are the Sohmer, Knabe, Francis Bacon, and Kroeger. Special attention is always given to tuning, polishing, boxing, and shipping. There are pianos to rent, exchanged, or sold on easy payments. A large stock is carried, and besides a piano parlor located in Great Barrington, Mr. Rider has men traveling through the counties of Columbia and Berkshire to present his goods. In all six men are employed. Satisfaction is guaranteed on every sale, and the best treatment is accorded to all.

J. T. Riders--Piano and Music Store from Illustrated Hudson, N.Y.

605 Warren Street today--Arendskjold Antiques Art & Modern Design

Not to Be Missed

Bob Moses at Huffington Post reviews the reunion concert in Boston of Human Sexual Response: "What Does Human Sexual Response Mean to You? Boston's Most Theatrical Punk Band Reunites." This photograph is from Moses' article.

Bread in the News

America may be on the brink of losing Wonder Bread, but Hudson has just gained a chic new source of wondrously good bread: Bonfiglio & Bread. Scott Baldinger has the story on Rural Intelligence about Hudson's newest bakery, at 748 Warren Street, whose history is a classic American success story: "Bonfiglio & Bread: Filling a Knead."

Hudson on the 11 O'Clock News

The WRGB-TV Channel 6 News coverage of tonight's Common Council meeting is now online. Without mention of the four journalists who no longer work at the Register-Star, TV news is sensationally spinning the story as the "Pledge of Allegiance Controversy." 

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Tonight at City Hall

It seems that, for some media outlets, the focus of the story that has been riveting our attention for the past week has shifted from the four gutsy and principled young journalists who used to work for the Register-Star to Third Ward alderman John Friedman and his equally principled choice to refrain occasionally from standing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance at the start of every Common Council meeting. Friedman explained the reason for his occasional abstinence in the comment on this blog:
Frankly, I think the Pledge is vitally important to America and Americans precisely because--as a nation of immigrants--we have few things in common besides our desire to be here, to live here and to participate in society here. But I also think rote recitation of anything--the Pledge, the Boy Scout motto, the lyrics from my favorite Grateful Dead song--slowly diminishes the meaning of the words. So sometimes I participate and sometimes I don't.
Late this afternoon, word spread that veterans' groups were planning to picket tonight's meeting at City Hall, presumably to protest Friedman's exercising, from time to time, his freedom of choice. The rumors, however, turned out to be an exaggeration. When Gossips arrived at City Hall at about 6:50, two men wearing what I thought were VFW baseball caps were in the lobby. A video camera was set up in Council chambers, but the man behind the camera was not Dan Udell, who regularly records Council meetings to be shown on the Mid-Hudson Cable public access channel, but Lance Wheeler, the videographer who frequently provides video for CBS 6 in Albany. Wheeler recorded the beginning of the meeting, through the point at which everyone, including Friedman, rose for a "moment of silent contemplation" and the Pledge of Allegiance, took some still photographs with his camera pointed in the direction of Friedman, and then packed up his gear and left. The men in the VFW caps reportedly left at about the same time.

Addendum: Just as I was finishing this post, Wheeler published his video on YouTube.

Hudson in 1905: Part 85

The following is an excerpt from the booklet Illustrated Hudson, N.Y., published in 1905.

THE ALBANY AND HUDSON RAILROAD COMPANY--A notable and pleasant feature of traveling in Columbia and Rennselaer counties is encountered when one boards an electric coach of the Albany and Hudson Railway for any point between the cities of Albany and Hudson. This road operates an extraordinary, heavy-truck, massive and speedy third rail system; covering thirty-seven miles of territory and making an average speed of fifty miles an hour. The country through which the road passes is famous the world over for its picturesqueness and scenic beauty; while, at the same time, there are many points of historic interest all along the route. The active imagination will grasp the picture as a whole in an instant when there is placed before it the beautiful Catskills looming up in the distance. Such sights enhance a thousandfold the pleasure of a trip over this road. One is stuck by the fine residential sites that constantly come to view; rich lands where summer and even permanent homes might be made to advantage. The Albany and Hudson Railroad Company was organized in 1903. They were the pioneer third railers of the State of New York, and have enjoyed since the very beginning complete success in the venture. The company own and control their own power house at Stuyvesant Falls, with sub-stations at North Chatham and Hudson. From these there is available constantly some 4,000 horse power, which is utilized not only for running cars but also for supplying electric lighting current and furnishing motor power for various manufactories and mills located within the company's field of operation. The general manager of the company is Mr. George G. Blakeslee, and under his supervision the road has become immensely popular, until the present day beholds it the best constructed third rail system in the country. The line is open from 6 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. There are sixteen cars in operation, every one of which displays the acme of street car construction, 33 feet long and possessing a seating capacity of 60. The schedule is arranged for hourly service from Albany and Hudson, stopping at Rensselaer, Greenbush, Nassau, North Chatham, Niverville, Valatie, Kinderhook, Stuyvesant Falls, Rossman, Stockport Centre, Stottville, and Hudson, besides many flag stations. A special feature of the Albany and Hudson Railway is the excursion traffic, which continues throughout the summer months. There are many points of inter for pleasure seekers and excursionists along the line, including the celebrated Electric Park, situated midway between Albany and Hudson, on the shores of the beautiful Kinderhook Lake. Shady nooks along the shores of the lake; amusements of every variety, including a large open air theatre, where most excellent vaudeville attractions are given afternoon and evening; beautiful electric displays every night; these with many other natural beauties may be enjoyed, through the thoughtfulness of the men who first proposed the present A. & H. Railroad. No intoxicants are permitted on the grounds, and the place is an excellent resort for all church and other society picnics or excursions. Special rates on the railway are given to all such parties.

Scenes from the Electric Park at Kinderhook Lake