Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Building Background

The Hudson Housing Authority Board is scheduled to meet tonight at 6 p.m. in the community room at Bliss Towers. The controversy over painting the benches in the courtyard of the building is expected to be a topic discussion.

Although the building dominates the Hudson skyline, most of us know very little about Bliss Towers. We are aware that a few years ago there was talk of demolishing the 41-year-old nine-story high rise, which apparently has a history of structural problems and some feel has reached the end of its useful life, but there has not been any definitive information about how that plan is progressing or even if that plan is progressing. 

Yesterday, Gossips learned that the Staley B. Keith Social Justice Center recently sent a letter to Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, outlining problems with Bliss Towers and particularly with its management and calling on Gillibrand to intervene. Following what Gossips understands to be standard procedure, Gillibrand's office forwarded the letter to the HUD field office in Buffalo, and the Director of Public Housing in Buffalo, Lisa Pugliese passed the complaints along to Jeffrey First, executive director of the Hudson Housing Authority, for his response. First provided Gossips with a copy of that response and permission to publish it. 

First's letter can be accessed by clicking here. Because it contains both the complaints brought by SBK and First's responses, Gossips believes it represents both sides of the story and provides useful background information to help those not directly involved in the situation understand some of the issues surrounding the Hudson Housing Authority and Bliss Towers, the property it manages.
COPYRIGHT 2014 CAROLE OSTERINK 

2 comments:

  1. Dear Ms Osterink,

    I followed your link to the Bliss Tower report, and was disappointed to find only one page accessible. To download the entire report I was asked to register with docstoc, which then led to a survey on my status in finding a job. I never did receive the document in its entirety.

    Could you please make the document available in some other fashion without the necessity of registering with yet another advertising site?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very sorry. In my experience, docstoc.com has never prevented people from seeing the entire document. That's why I use it. I just tested it myself, and I worked for me. I will be happy to email you the letter. Just scroll down until you get to my image and name, click on my name to connect with my email address, send me a message, and I will email the document to you.

      Delete