Sunday, January 4, 2015

Micropolitan Diary

I've always enjoyed the "Metropolitan Diary" in the New York Times. The tales of everyday encounters and observations are compelling snapshots of life in New York City. Last week, I had an experience while walking my dog, Joey, that captured a bit of what makes life special in our little city, and it inspired me to conceptualize a new feature for The Gossips of Rivertown. In shameless imitation of the "Metropolitan Diary," I call it "Micropolitan Diary," because Hudson is a metropolis in microcosm. Here's the inaugural entry:
Dear Diary:
Joey and I were heading home on our afternoon walk. In one hand, I held Joey's leash; in the other, a bagful of veggies and goodies from Bruno's. We were on Union Street when a DPW truck stopped at the curb, just a little ahead of us, and two guys got out with buckets and litter sticks. Joey chose that moment to stop and poop, so I pulled off my mittens, retrieved a poop bag from my pocket, and did my responsible dog owner duty. Resignedly realizing that there was no trash barrel between where we were and home, I fumbled to knot the top of the poop bag, while clutching my mittens, the leash, and the bag of groceries. When I accomplished the task, I looked up to see one of the DPW guys proffering his bucket. I deposited the poop bag, with expressions of gratitude, and we exchanged best wishes for the new year.
COPYRIGHT 2015 CAROLE OSTERINK

1 comment:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed this first entry of the Micropolitan Diary. Please keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete