Monday, January 31, 2011

The More Things Change . . .

There's a flag pole on Promenade Hill today, and, as this image indicates, there was a flag pole on Promenade Hill in the 1840s. But apparently in 1898 there was no flag pole, and, according to this account from the Evening Register for August 9, 1898, the Common Council couldn't agree to put one there.


The Question Long Agitated Lost
in the Common Council

Ald[erman] Fardy, from the special committee to see about a flag pole for the Promenade hill, reported that the committee had seen Mr. Every, of Athens, and inspected the pole he proposed to erect if awarded the contract, and found the some perfectly satisfactory in every respect. The price named was $175, without the weather vane, and $200 with the vane. The committee had interviewed Mr. Patterson and found that he had no pole, but wished the committee to go with him in the country and find one, and the committee had declined the honor.

Ald. Fardy moved that the contract for erecting a flag pole on Promenade hill be awarded to Mr. Every, of Athens, for the sum of $175.

Ald. Johns moved an amendment that the committee advertise for bids for the erection of the pole.

Ald. Kelley thought that would be the most satisfactory way of proceeding in the premises and seconded the motion of Ald. Johns.

On a call of the ayes and nays the amendment was lost by the following vote.

Ayes--Fehl, Johns, Kelley, Winslow--4.
Nays--Recorder, Eaton, Fardy, Peake, Roach--5.

A vote was then taken on the original motion of Ald. Fardy and lost by the following vote.

Ayes--Eaton, Fardy, Peake, Roach--4.
Nays--Recorder, Fehl, Johns, Kelley, Winslow--5.

Recorder Kennedy in voting stated that he was opposed to the erection of any flag staff on the part of the city, believing as he did that they had no authority under the charter to do do, but that it was the privilege of the Public Works Commission to attend to the matter.

On motion of Ald. Kelley the Council adjourned. 

1 comment:

  1. The image above is a detail of Plate 115 of Wade & Croome's panoramic series of engravings of the east bank of the Hudson River, published in 1846.

    A more expansive colorized version -- showing both the North and South Bays, Mount Merino, and a considerably smaller Middle Ground Flats -- appeared along with other historical images in The Valley Alliance's extensive comments on the Hudson draft LWRP. I've posted that wider version at:

    Click on the picture to enlarge considerably...

    --Sam P.