Wednesday, April 29, 2015

What He Said

At the beginning of the Police Committee meeting on Monday, Alderman Henry Haddad (Third Ward) explained that he had been misquoted in the article that appeared in the Register-Star on April 22: "Council approves shared SWAT team." In the article, which reported on the April 21 Common Council meeting, Haddad is quoted as telling Alderman Abdus Miah (Second Ward), "Shut up and do your job." At the Police Committee meeting on Monday, Haddad explained that he had said "Show up and do your job" not "Shut up."

Yesterday, I went back to my notes from the April 21 meeting, and here is what I found:

As of this morning, the error has not been corrected in the online version of the Register-Star. 
COPYRIGHT 2015 CAROLE OSTERINK

8 comments:

  1. The words spoken were "show up," unmistakably. It's a marvel that anyone misheard it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He definitely said "show up." When I read "shut up" in the newspaper article, I was really taken aback because I was certain he hadn't said that. I couldn't recall exactly what he had said, but I was certain it was not "shut up." And "show up" it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Mason arrived at the Police Committee meeting a little late and after Henry Haddad's correction vis-a-vis shut up vs. show up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, John Mason arrived at the Police Committee meeting just before me. He was walking toward the building when I pulled into the parking lot. I heard what Henry had to say (although I missed the very beginning). John would have heard it, too.

      Delete
  4. Carole, I'm so impressed by your legible note-taking! When I'm reporting a story I'm always taking notes but about 75% of what I write turns out indecipherable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I wasn't certain I wanted to expose my scrawl to the world. My third grade teacher who taught me cursive--Palmer method, of course-- would be appalled.

      Delete
  5. Carole, clear as a bell - excellent note taking - and I spent a year learning Pitman's shorthand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The "clarification" is in today's Register Star.

    ReplyDelete