Thursday, April 9, 2015

150 Years Ago: The Morning of April 9

Today, 150 years ago, Robert E. Lee surrendered to Ulysses S. Grant. The surrender was preceded by a series of notes exchanged by the two men. The messages continued through the morning of April 9, beginning at 5 a.m., when Grant replied to Lee's note of the previous day. 
APRIL 9, 1865
General R. E. LEE:
Your note of yesterday is received. I have no authority to treat on the subject of peace; the meeting proposed for 10 a.m. to-day could lead to no good. I will state, however, that I am equally anxious for peace with yourself, and the whole North entertains the same feeling. The terms upon which peace can be had are well understood. By the South laying down their arms they will hasten that most desirable event, save thousands of human lives, and hundreds of millions of property not yet destroyed. Seriously hoping that all our difficulties may be settled without the loss of another life, I subscribe myself, etc.,
U. S. GRANT, Lieutenant-General

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA,
APRIL 9, 1865
Lieut. Gen. U. S. GRANT:
I received your note of this morning on the picket-line, whither I had come to meet you and ascertain definitely what terms were embraced in your proposal of yesterday with reference to the surrender of this army. I now ask an interview, in accordance with the offer contained in your letter of yesterday, for that purpose.
R. E. LEE, General.

APRIL 9, 1865
General R. E. LEE Commanding C.S. Army
Your note of this date is but this moment [11:50 a.m.] received, in consequence of my having passed from the Richmond and Lynchburg road to the Farmville and Lynchburg road. I am at this writing about four miles west of Walker's Church, and will push forward for the purpose of meeting you. Notice sent to me on this road where you wish the interview to take place will meet me.
U. S. GRANT, Lieutenant-General

No comments:

Post a Comment