The building was constructed c. 1864. From 1883 to 1896, it was the location of the Home for the Aged, before the home moved upstreet to 620 Union Street, where it stayed until it ceased to exist in 2014.
In 2013, the building got a new slate mansard roof and the chimneys were re-created, but since then, nothing much has happened. Today, the wall facing South Fifth Street is crumbling. The hole created by the bricks falling away is reported to go through to the interior.
The other is a humbler building, with a less distinguished past: 250 Allen Street.
A brick chimney on the house's east wall is crumbling. There is a hole that goes completely through to the interior.
And the wood of the little gable roof over the door is rotting.
Both buildings are owned by Galvan Initiatives Foundation. The Galvan Group acquired 501 Union Street in 2004. Galvan Partners acquired 250 Allen Street in 2011. Ownership of both properties was transferred to Galvan Initiatives Foundation in 2012.
COPYRIGHT 2019 CAROLE OSTERINK