2 The Charles Alger House
The Gothic Revival brick house at 59 Allen Street was built in 1851 for Charles Coffey Alger, who was the designer of the Hudson Iron Works and a partner in that enterprise. "Embellished with wood bargeboards, finials, and eared drip moldings," the house appears in this engraving from an 1858 map of Columbia County.
Alger was the patron of Hudson River School painter Sanford Robinson Gifford, who was the son of Alger's partner in the iron works, Elihu Gifford. Alger also was a patron of the architect Alexander Jackson Davis, who did work at Alger's residences in Newburgh and New York City. It has been reported that the interior of the house on Allen Street may still retain some details that suggest the design influence of Davis.
The following photographs from the mid-20th century show the house with its bargeboards and eared drip moldings still intact, although the finials appear already to be missing.
Last December, a roofing project was begun on the house, without a certificate of appropriateness from the Historic Preservation Commission.
Code enforcement officer Craig Haigh issued a stop word order, indicating that the work on the roof was being done without a permit.
COPYRIGHT 2019 CAROLE OSTERINK