Friday, July 31, 2026

Where Hudson Ends and Greenport Begins

Tassilo von Parseval, Greenport resident and frequent commenter on Gossips, has launched his own brand of local journalism, The Greenport Perimeter. With a focus on investigative reporting, his first offering deals with the current maelstrom surrounding Greenport Town Supervisor Kathy Eldridge: "The Greenport Uprising." 


If Greenport's proximity to Hudson and the shared ZIP code were not enough to pique the curiosity of Hudson readers, two of the major players in this drama are former Hudsonians. Eldridge has been the domestic partner of former Hudson mayor Dick Tracy (2006-2007) for more than two decades. Jim Dolan, the primary source of much of the information, was at one time the chief of police in Hudson and has a long history in Hudson politics, recounted here by Sam Pratt. Also figuring in the drama, John Porreca, the Greenport Democrats' choice to replace Eldridge, lived in Hudson up until 2011 and was active in Hudson politics.

For any number of reasons, "The Greenport Uprising" is recommended reading.
COPYRIGHT 2026 CAROLE OSTERINK

7 comments:

  1. I am very excited I made Gossips not only as a commenter! Thank you, Carole, for helping me spread this story. Investigative journalism is maybe a little much. But more stories are lined up that may also prove to be time-sinks.

    The rest of the Gossips community may meanwhile breathe a sigh of relief: I'm far more focused on Greenport now which has overtaken Hudson in dysfunction. Unlike Hudson's dysfunction, Greenport's affects me directly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Max!

    Good news for anyone who reads this blog, and for Greenport taxpayers, and proof that municipal dysfunction is the one growth industry in the county.

    We would have gone with "Greater Hudson", on the theory that Greenport without Hudson is a shape with nothing in the middle. But the Perimeter is the better name.

    A perimeter is defined entirely by what it goes around, which is more candour than most mastheads manage on page one. ;-)

    Genuinely excited to see what topics you tackle, and what topics Hudson + Greenport share in common, like the $42k per year per student HCSD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great news for both Hudson and Greenport. The more voices the better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read it and, wow, it’s quite good and I would also consider it investigative journalism.

      Delete
    2. I'd like to temper expectations maybe a little. That hosting system claims it's an 11min read. Writing it on the other hand probably took more than a hundred hours.

      I wish I had HCS's vast and inexhaustible resources! 😀

      Delete
  4. I also just read the piece. Great stuff, Max! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tass - Please do an investigative piece to put to rest the confusion, suspicions and rumors that have been swirling for too many years concerning the true residence of longtime 2nd ward Hudson council member Dewan Sarowar. He's the guy who has co-owned a house with his wife/partner on Green Acres Road in Greenport for at least the past ten years and where his car can often be found parked. Maybe you can interview him at the only house he owns in the area! Just show up and see if he is there and wants to talk to you! If he doesn't want to speak to you, well then, you are on the right trail.
    I think I speak for a lot of people here in Hudson when I say we would really be thankful if you made this effort. I think such a piece would fit the bill of the title of your new blog. Perimeter, indeed!

    ReplyDelete