On the next block in addition to the mansion of Robert W. Evans [above], we find the residences of Peter Bogardus, Miss E. Peake, Peter S. Wynkoop, Dr. Abijah P. Cook, Dr. Benham, Henry J. Baringer, Hon. Darius Peck, George C. Hubbel and Charles P. Waldron. These houses also are of the olden time, but most of them have been remodeled within the last few years, and now are deemed very desirable residences.The 1867 Hudson city directory gives Peter Bogardus's address as 82 Warren Street, which after 1889 became 212-214 Warren Street.
Miss E. Peake--E. for Elizabeth--lived and ran a Young Ladies Seminary in what is now 216 Warren Street.
In 1867, Peter Wynkoop lived in what is now 218 Warren Street. It will be remembered that 216 and 218 Warren Street were originally one grand Georgian mansion, the home of Thomas Jenkins, the wealthiest of the original Proprietors.
The address of Dr. Abijah P. Cook in given in the 1867 Hudson city directory as 111 Warren Street, which today is 241 Warren Street. According to Bruce Hall, in an article written ten years ago for Columbia County History & Heritage, Dr. Cook ran a private hospital in this building.
In 1867, Dr. J. G. Benham resided at 121 Warren Street, which today is 253 Warren Street.
Henry J. Baringer, according to the 1867 directory, resided at 117 Warren Street, which today is 249 Warren.
Hon. Darius Peck lived at 76 Warren Street, which became 208 Warren after 1889.
George C. Hubbel strangely does not appear in the 1867 directory. Charles P. Waldron, however, in listed in the directory as living at 90 Warren Street, which becomes in the renumbering 222 Warren Street. This evidence supports Bruce Hall's deduction that 222 Warren Street was originally a "gentleman's home."
On the block above Third street we find the house of Charles Paul, Esq., remodeled into its present shape some years ago by Allen Rossman, Esq. Opposite Mr. Paul's is to be found one of the most stylish houses in this vicinity, the house now occupied by Mr. Mundy, originally built and occupied by the late Theophilus Beekman. Henry Miller, the Recorder, occupies the house known as the Little property, and having been completely overhauled makes a very fine residence.None of the three houses above Third Street exists any longer. The address given for Charles Paul in the 1867 city directory is 137 Warren Street, which became, after the numbering changed, 309 Warren Street. Once the site of the Hotel Lincoln, 309 Warren Street is now the site of a municipal parking lot.
Mr. Mundy, according to the 1867 directory, lived at 140 Warren Street. His residence, which the writer calls "one of the most stylish in this vicinity," was likely this house, now long gone. It stood on the site of the former supermarket building. Interestingly, as with 32 Warren Street, the writer of the 1867 piece names a different original owner of the house. According to the 1867 account, Theophilus Beekman was the original owner. Today the legendary house is known as the Captain John Hathaway House.
These are the principal houses in Warren street, below Fourth and in Allen street, above Third and below Fourth, with the exception of those of John Gaul, Esq., and Mr. Lucius Moore.
At some early day we shall call the attention of our readers to many handsome residences in Union street, the lower part of Allen street, and other parts of our city.As promised, this was done. Gossips discovered and reproduced the subsequent article back in September 2010.