Monday, May 2, 2016

Breaking News on the State Political Scene

WAMC Photo by Dave Lucas
Late this afternoon, Gossips learned from WAMC that Congressman Chris Gibson, who will retire from the House of Representatives at the end of this term and who was contemplating a run for governor of New York in 2018, has decided not to run to governor after all. Early this afternoon, Gibson released this statement:    
Over the past 35 years, I’ve had the great honor and privilege of serving our country--first, for 29 years in the military and now six in Congress. In recent months, my family and I have had the opportunity to travel New York State, meeting new friends in 48 counties. I appreciate greatly the warm welcomes and support I have received, and the time so many have dedicated to our mission to change the state. For that, I can only say thank you.
The last year has also brought into greater clarity what our next steps should be as a family. Mary Jo and I have three teenagers who are in their last years at home. In addition, I was just offered and accepted a position with Williams College as a Visiting Lecturer on Leadership beginning in February 2017, and anticipate accepting other academic positions shortly. Ultimately, for our family, the opportunity to spend increased time together balanced with a return to academia was one we could not pass up.
Therefore, I will not be running for Governor in 2018. At the conclusion of my term in the U.S. House of Representatives, I will be leaving politics and starting this new direction with my family. In the near-term, I will be closing my exploratory committee. For our donors to that committee, we’ll be refunding contributions we’ve received.
I will be working hard to finish strong and transition well to whomever voters choose as the next Representative for the 19th District. I truly believe that this is an exceptional country and our best days are still in front of us.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve. 

1 comment:

  1. People probably don't know it, but Gibson helped us help ecology in Hudson.

    He assisted with the Army Corps of Engineers, who were looking at South Bay for its restoration potential. Then he assisted with the Congressional bill which would have paid for it, and at a time when "earmarks" was a really dirty word.

    He's assisting us now, dutifully conveying questions to various Federal agencies regarding Hudson's dubious sewer separation proposal.

    The paltry few of us in Hudson willing to get our hands dirty to defend local ecology owe Gibson a debt of gratitude. I'm really sorry he's stepping out altogether, but if we're lucky we'll get another conservation-minded representative to take his place, someone who really knows what he's talking about [initials WY (oops)].

    ReplyDelete