Comments made by Council president Tom DePietro last night, indicated that the Council's peripatetic period may go on for longer than it takes Garriga to regain mobility. He announced that he had arranged for future informal meetings of the Common Council to take place in the community room at the Hudson Area Library through the end of the year. Former Council president Don Moore helpfully noted that the courtroom at the new police and courts building had been designed with the possibility in mind of holding evening meetings there.
This all brings to mind the story, probably apocryphal, of how, before Hudson's first city hall was completed in 1855, the Common Council met in rented rooms in various locations in the city, and for the ten years between 1845, when the City acquired the painting, and 1855, when the Council settled in its new digs at 327 Warren Street, the presence of Henry Ary's portrait of George Washington rendered any room in which the aldermen met to do the City's business the official "Council chamber."
|The Council Chamber in Hudson's first City Hall|
COPYRIGHT 2018 CAROLE OSTERINK