The scaffolding was removed from the facade of 211 Union Street yesterday, but it wasn't until early this morning that Gossips was able to get there to photograph the house that was, in 1794, the birthplace of General William Jenkins Worth.
Very little of the original house remains. Not only was the front wall rebuilt as a single course of brick over a new wall constructed behind it, but the bricks that were used are not original to the house; they were salvaged from the Brick Tavern that once stood at the intersection of Routes 66 and 9H. It isn't just the front wall that is newly constructed. Word has it that the entire house behind the brick veneer facade has been rebuilt. A house that was originally post and beam construction is now balloon construction. The roof has a Philadephia style gutter which never appeared in the drawings submitted to the Historic Preservation Commission--in fact, this type of gutter never appeared on buildings in Hudson until the latter part of the 19th century and does not seem to be a type of gutter that was used in Hudson in the late 18th century, when this house was built. And then there are the windows, with mullions that are far too wide for the period and, on the second floor, a configuration that is rarely if ever seen: six over nine.
Still this bastardization of one of Hudson's most historically significant houses is a cause for celebration in some quarters. See W. T. Eckert's report in the Register-Star: "Worth House restoration unveiled." Restoration? Whoever came up with that title wasn't very careful about his or her choice of words.