Continuing the theme of moving houses, Gossips' next site is the corner of East Court and East Allen streets, where St. Mary's Church currently stands. Before the church was built in 1929, a substantial house stood in this spot--a house designed by J. A. Wood, the architect for the Bardavon Opera House in Poughkeepsie and for the Gothic expansion of the First Presbyterian Church here in Hudson. The house appears at the center of this historic picture.
When that site was chosen for the new church, the house, which stood where they wanted to build the church, was not demolished, which might have been the solution pursued today. Instead it was moved. The late Gerard ("Roddy") Hart, who lived his entire life in the neighborhood around the courthouse, remembered, as a child, watching the feat, which was accomplished with horses and huge rollers.
The house's destination was 431 East Allen Street, where it still stands today and is the home of Catholic Charities.