Monday, May 25, 2015

"I Talk to the Trees"

MICROPOLITAN DIARY
There hasn't been a new entry for a while in "Micropolitan Diary," Gossips' homage to and shameless imitation of "Metropolitan Diary" in the New York Times (the term microcosm was coined because Hudson is a metropolis in microcosm), so today is as good a time as any for one.
Dear Diary,
This morning Joey and I were out, as is our wont, shortly after 7 a.m. for our first walk of the day. As we made our way along the fenced perimeter of a neighbor's yard, I noticed ahead some movement at the base of the foliage that grows just inside the fence. I thought it was the resident dog and got Joey set for a dog encounter, but it turned to be one of the human residents, doing some weeding under the hedge.
This neighbor and I hadn't had a conversation in a while, and we had much to catch up on. We could see one another through a break in the hedge, which grows more than six feet high, and we chatted for fifteen minutes or more. As our conversation was wrapping up, another neighbor came by in his car. When he pulled up alongside where I stood on the sidewalk and realized what was transpiring, he exclaimed with mock relief, "I thought you'd gone 'round the bend and were standing there talking to the hedge!" 
COPYRIGHT 2015 CAROLE OSTERINK

No comments:

Post a Comment