While the Greenport School is getting embedded into an apartment complex to be known as "The Falls," it is an appropriate time to consider the former school building's past.
The building is not as old as one might think. It was completed in 1931. In the early summer of that year, when the school brand-new, it was the scene of an event that was front page news in the Chatham Courier: the first annual countywide 4-H rally.
What may have been most remarkable about this event, which took place on Saturday, June 6, 1931, is that it started at the Columbia County courthouse in Hudson, and the kids from all the 4-H clubs in the county marched from the courthouse to the Greenport School. It makes one curious to know what route they took.
COPYRIGHT 2015 CAROLE OSTERINK