It seems the ashes of Leonard Geiger and the remains of his wife and eldest son are interred beneath this stone. The names of his two youngest children, Rosa (whose name often appears in newspapers and public records as Rose) and Lily, who were born in the same year, which suggests they were twins, also appear on the stone, but the years of their deaths have not been completed, suggesting they were both buried elsewhere.
|Photo: Historic Hudson|
It seems that Lily and her husband, who is sometimes referred to in the newspaper as "Prof. J. R. Billingham" and whose occupation is listed in the city directory as "Musician," inherited 94 North Fifth Street when Margaret Geiger died in January 1912. Rose (a.k.a. Rosa) seems also to have been provided for. On October 8, 1912, the Columbia Republican reported that a new house was being built for her on North Fifth Street.
Although the newspaper gives the location of the house as North Fifth Street, it was actually being erected at the end of North Fifth Street, on Clinton Street. The city directory for 1916 lists Rose and her brother Frederick residing at 500 Clinton Street, in this house, just a block away from the house where they grew up.
Rose Geiger's name appears often in the newspapers of the time, in connection with charitable and cultural events--hospital benefits, exhibitions at the D.A.R., Red Cross fundraisers. It is of some interest that the city directory for 1925 lists Rose Geiger's occupation as "asst matron N.Y.S.T.S. for Girls"--the New York State Training School for Girls.
COPYRIGHT 2018 CAROLE OSTERINK
Post a Comment