Saturday, July 28, 2018

Change on the HPC

Yesterday's Historic Preservation Commission meeting was the last for David Voorhees, who has served on the commission for twelve years, during some of those years as its chair and for most of them as the historian member of the commission. At the end of yesterday's meeting, Mayor Rick Rector commended Voorhees for his years of service on the HPC, saying Voorhees could be proud, driving up and down the streets of Hudson, of the good work he has done in preserving the city's architectural heritage and historic character. Rector indicated he had begged Voorhees to stay on the commission for another term, but Voorhees declined. Responding, Voorhees explained, "It's time for me to move on. I have my institute [Jacob Leisler Institute for the Study of Early New York History], and I want to devote my whole time to that."

As someone who has been watching the Historic Preservation Commission from its beginning, first as concerned citizen and since 2010 as The Gossips of Rivertown, I too wish to commend and express my gratitude for the knowledge and uncompromising judgment Voorhees brought to the HPC.
COPYRIGHT 2018 CAROLE OSTERINK

3 comments:

  1. David,Thank you for your years of service in a basically thankless position. I fear the committee is losing one of it's best protectors of the truly historical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preserving and improving our city... Thank you David.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Pewtetra. David is probably the most knowledgable and understands the importance of preservation, not "rehab".

    ReplyDelete