Monday, July 23, 2018

Unconditional Love

MICROPOLITAN DIARY
Dear Diary,
The rain and an early morning run-in with the wretched trash bag vending machine in front of City Hall hadn't put me in the best of moods today, and this afternoon, while doing some errands, I muttered "Jackass!" at two people who, going the opposite direction, had gotten into my lane when I was trying to execute a left turn to go to PetSmart. (Of course, the windows were rolled up and the A/C was on, so the offending drivers had no notion of my displeasure, unless they were able to read lips.)
After our visit to PetSmart, we stopped at the little ice cream parlor on Fairview Avenue that doesn't appear to have a name. I hadn't had lunch, and Joey needed a treat, so I got a soft serve vanilla kiddie cone for us to share. The deal is I eat as much as I want, and then Joey gets the rest. But while I was still licking the fast-melting cone, Joey decided to join in. After that, it was all his.
Ice cream consumed, we headed back to Hudson. On the way, we stopped at Fairview Wines & Spirits for a bottle of wine. (Joey is always welcome there.) When we were leaving, the rain, which had been in remission since we had arrived at PetSmart, decided to come down in torrents. I thought about staying in the store to wait out the downpour, but decided against it. Instead Joey and I headed for the car.  
Once we were out of the rain, Joey, in his seat beside me in our tiny car, decided to shake himself, as dogs will do, and I, soaked to the skin for the second time today, got even wetter. My response was to laugh uncontrollably. That, in my opinion, is proof of the unconditional love our dogs teach us.
"Micropolitan Diary" is Gossips' homage to and blatant imitation of "Metropolitan Diary" in the New York Times. The term micropolitan was coined (by Gossips) because Hudson is a metropolis in microcosm.
COPYRIGHT 2018 CAROLE OSTERINK

No comments:

Post a Comment