A request to move the Columbia Turnpike East Tollhouse on Route 23 in the Town of Hillsdale is among Governor Kathy Hochul's recommendations to the National Park Service: "Governor Hochul Announces 13 Nominations to the State and National Registers of Historic Places." The following is quoted from the press release making the announcement:
The Columbia Turnpike East Tollhouse . . . is a rare and significant surviving building from New York State's turnpike era. The former Columbia Turnpike was an overland route between western Massachusetts and the Hudson River at Hudson, New York, that was active between 1799 and 1906. The wood-framed tollhouse was built to serve as a toll keeper's house and, until 1906, the building was fronted by a toll gate which could be raised and lowered to restrict movement of road traffic. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2016 and the amendment proposes moving the building thirty feet to protect the building from traffic and road hazards. The board reviewed and approved the new location as similar in character to the original site. The move, which is spearheaded by the Friends of East Gate, would include and retain the building's original features, orientation, and historic interrelationship with the road.
The Columbia Turnpike West Tollhouse is located on Route 23B, just outside Hudson in Greenport.