Saturday, December 10, 2016

Three Hearings and No Quorum

There were three public hearings scheduled by the Planning Commission to take place on Thursday. The one for 209-213 Columbia Street (the proposed new location for Promise Neighborhoods) was cancelled because the applicant had withdrawn the proposal. The other two hearings were cancelled because, although more than thirty members of the public showed up for the meeting, only two of the seven members of the Planning Board did--the chair, Tom DePietro, and Laura Margolis. With only two members present, there was no quorum.

Of interest is the fact that the terms of three members of the Planning Board--Cleveland Samuels, Glenn Martin, and Gene Shetsky--expire at the end of this month, and DePietro intimated that all three are to be replaced with new members.

Although no public hearings took place, it turned out that, except for the two applicants those public hearings were cancelled, the rest of the people had come to City Hall for what actually did take place: an open discussion of the proposed Colarusso haul road from Newman Road in Greenport to the Hudson waterfront.

Google Earth
Google Earth
DePietro displayed a document, more than an inch thick, recently received from Colarusso, which he explained was the response to questions posed by Ray Jurkowski, the engineer from Morris Associates who has been retained to advise the Planning Board in this matter. Among those questions was: How many truck trips through Hudson would be eliminated by the haul road? The document was not discussed because no one had had time to review it.

DePietro told the audience that the Planning Board was in the process of drafting a letter to the Greenport Planning Board, which has been granted lead agency status in the SEQR (State Environmental Quality Review) process by the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC). The letter, DePietro explained, would define "what our interests in Hudson are." He said he wanted people to know that the Hudson Planning Board's review of the proposed haul road would be "an open and careful process," and he encouraged people to attend Greenport Planning Board meetings, to let them know that the project was of concern to the people of Hudson. He then invited questions and comments from the audience.

Timothy O'Connor was first to speak, bringing up what he called "the east causeway"--the part of the haul road going east from Route 9G through a part of Hudson zoned Recreational Conservation.

O'Connor pointed out, as he has before, that the conversion of what was a rutted trail into a gravel road should have come before the Planning Board for site plan review. DePietro told O'Connor that the decision of whether or not something came before the Planning Board was made by the code enforcement officer. Mitch Khosrova, counsel to the Planning Board, suggested that the easement for the road, which Colarusso presumably inherited from Holcim, may have been the width of the current road, and in widening the road, "they are just taking advantage of what they had all along."

        
Khosrova asserted that there was no established baseline and hence to way to determine if what had been done exceeded what was permitted. O'Connor alleged that everything had been documented in a letter written by former city attorney Cheryl Roberts, but no one could find that letter.

The discussion then switched from the "east causeway" to the dock, where a major revetment project was completed within the past week or so. In this case, Gossips has learned, Hudson's code enforcement officer has maintained that only the Army Corps of Engineers had jurisdiction over the work that was done.

Work in the "causeway" going west in 2011
John Rosenthal then asked, "When was [the path through South Bay] used as a haul road?" He followed up with the statement, "Now we are saying it is a haul road when historically it might not be." The question crystallized, for those who have been in Hudson for a while, how much the use of the "causeway" and the activity at the dock has increased over the past ten years, apparently without any review or oversight from the City of Hudson and in spite of community commitment to limiting industrial uses of the waterfront. This Gossips post from July 2011 provides some history of what went before: "Contemplating the 'Causeway.'" Another question raised by Rosenthal is an apt one: "What kind of control can we exert going backward?"

When Khosrova pointed out that the proposed haul road would mean many fewer trucks going through city streets, Tony Stone said he didn't want "the city attorney to pit citizens against each other." Trucks going to the dock now enter the city on Route 23B from Newman Road, follow Green Street to Columbia Street, take Columbia Street to Third Street, and Third Street to the entrance to the causeway. This entire route, up to the turn into South Bay, is on state designated truck routes. Trucks going from the dock back to the quarry do not use the route through South Bay. Instead, after crossing the railroad tracks on Broad Street, they go north on Front Street to Columbia Street and up Columbia Street, where, once they have crossed Third Street, they are back on the state truck route, and they retrace their path back to Newman Road. The reason they don't go back through South Bay is that the Department of Transportation will not permit heavy trucks emerging from South Bay to make a left turn onto Route 9G, but, as Stone pointed out, they could make a right turn and bypass the city by returning to the quarry by way of Routes 23 and 9H.

Khosrova called the information that trucks could make a right turn onto Route 9G, which has been known for at least three years, a "show stopper," but is it? Could the City, were it to have the will, force Colarusso to route its trucks on a longer path that would keep them off Hudson's streets both coming and going? Even if this were possible, it doesn't address the problems that remain ours: an industrial haul road through a significant coastal habitat, truck traffic at the only entrance to the waterfront, industrial activity at the dock, and the fugitive dust.    

Melissa Auf der Maur recalled that ten years ago no trucks passed Basilica Hudson. "There were no trucks and no people. . . . The fight was to get people to the water." She asserted there was something wrong in the city planning. "How did we get to this point of industrial expansion?" She pointed out that the level of industrial activity, as it is now, is unacceptable. She noted that the gravel trucks are interfering with the hundreds of people who are going to work every day in the former L&B building, where Digifabshop and other enterprises now operate.

Reacting to Auf der Maur's statements, Rosenthal raised the question of whether or not Colarusso was a good neighbor and asked, "Why should we favor a business interest in Greenport over business interests in Hudson?"

There is also a report about the Planning Board meeting by Rosa Acheson in today's Register-Star: "Road expansion proposal faces tough questions." 
COPYRIGHT 2016 CAROLE OSTERINK

Thursday, December 8, 2016

What's Happening at 400 State Street?

Since the end of October, the facade of 400 State has been illuminated at night. Last week, for the holidays and presumably in preparation for Winter Walk, little lights resembling candles appeared in all the windows. The effect, for anyone driving north on Fourth Street after dark or passing the building on foot, is quite pleasing. 

This afternoon, a Gossips reader walking by the building noticed a new development: silver spheres positioned on the lawn.  Finding them interesting, he decided to take this picture.

The appearance of the spheres is curious, but what is curiouser is that someone came out of the building as he was taking the picture, declared that taking pictures of these objects which had been placed outside, in the public view, was not allowed, and threatened to call the police.
COPYRIGHT 2016 CAROLE OSTERINK

Grant Money Coming to Hudson

The Regional Economic Development Council has announced its awards for 2016, and there are several of interest to us here in Hudson. 
  • The City of Hudson will receive $45,000 to update the Local Waterfront Revitalization Plan "to address climate change and sea level rise, as well as current planning and potential new projects."
  • Historic Hudson will receive $487,000 For Phase III of the restoration of the Dr. Oliver Bronson House.
  • Hudson Development Corporation will receive $14,000 for something called the Hudson History Project to provide visitors "with a mechanism to engage with Hudson's past, present, and future by providing self-guided walking tours that highlight historic, cultural, and environmental assets via well-catalogued, beautifully photographed, and narrated pathways through history to present day."
  • The Hudson Opera House will receive $49,500 to hire a full-time, permanent Director of Development and Marketing.
  • Hawthorne Valley Association will receive $600,000 for its Farm Enterprise Expansion project, which earlier information indicated involved "the acquisition, renovation, and equipment outfitting of a 10,000-square-foot facility for sauerkraut production" in the Second Ward. 
There are other awards of interest on the list: $197,878 to The Olana Partnership for the Olana Farm Education Center, and $875,000 for the Hudson River Skywalk connecting Olana and the Thomas Cole House; $170,000 for the restoration of Shaw Bridge in Claverack.  

You can review the entire list here. The grants for projects in Columbia County begin on page 83.

Just a reminder: The $500,000 Restore NY grant being sought for the Dunn building is part of a different process. It is expected that those awards should be announced soon as well.
COPYRIGHT 2016 CAROLE OSTERINK

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Of Interest

Two articles about Hudson were brought to Gossips' attention today. The first is "Why New York's Young Artists Are Leaving the City and Moving Upstate."

Photo: Clement Pascal
The second is "A Neighborhood Walk in the Catskills: Hudson, NY."

Image: Rotem Raffe
Both are recommended reading.
COPYRIGHT 2016 CAROLE OSTERINK

A Recommended Holiday Day Trip

Here's news for everyone with resident or visiting children to entertain during the holidays and for the many fans of Joan Steiner's beloved Look-Alikes® books. Ten of the original dioramas, meticulously crafted by Steiner from everyday objects and various edibles and photographed for the books, are now on display in different locations throughout the Albany Institute of History & Art.


The miniature scenes offer an engaging challenge for all to find and identify the objects used in their composition. There are reportedly at least a hundred in each scene. The motto of Look-Alikes® is, after all, "The more you look, the more you see." 

The exhibition of Steiner's dioramas, created in her studio here in Hudson, opened at the Albany Institute, 125 Washington Avenue, on November 25 continues through January 29. Click here for more information about the exhibition and for directions and museum hours.
COPYRIGHT 2016 CAROLE OSTERINK

Another N. C. Folger Discovery

On Monday, Gossips shared this description of the newly erected home of "that prince of clothing merchants, N. C. Folger," which appeared in the New Orleans Delta on October 30, 1854.  

 
 

Last night, I discovered a picture of the the residence of N. C. Folger, from the Williams Research Center of the Historic New Orleans Collection, which had been shared on Ancestry.com.


The article from the Delta indicates hat the house was on Apollo Street, between Triton Walk and Calliope. The address written on this historic photograph of the house, however, is 1019 Carondelet. A Google map search for 1019 Carondelet locates it close to Calliope, but there is no trace today of Triton Walk or of the "splendid edifice" that was N. C. Folger's home.

Google Maps
  COPYRIGHT 2016 CAROLE OSTERINK

"For Better or Worse"

Morning Edition on WAMC reported an Associated Press story that Donald Trump is Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2016.


The story includes this reminder: "[Time editor Nancy] Gibbs said Time gives the title to the person who has had the greatest influence on events 'for better or worse.'"  Times' history shows this to be true. In 1938, Time named Adolf Hitler as its Man of the Year.
COPYRIGHT 2016 CAROLE OSTERINK

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Sanford Gifford's Patron N. C. Folger: Part 3

In June 1857, the Hudson Daily Star devoted a column and a half to a "new wholesale clothing manufactory" in Hudson called James Clark & Company. The article begins:
We do not believe half our readers are aware of the magnitude of the enterprise which has been quietly undertaken in our city by Mr. N. C. Folger of New Orleans and Mr. James Clark of Hudson. It is generally known that the first named gentleman is at the head of one of the largest clothing establishments in the South, and that he has for a number of years carried on the business of manufacturing in New Jersey. He has recently decided to transfer this department of his business to our city, and, becoming associated with Mr. Clark, one of our most extensive and popular merchant tailors, proceeded to negotiate for the ample premises, corner of Warren and Fourth street which are now being thoroughly adapted to their purpose.
The "ample premises" was this building on the corner of Warren and Fourth streets, now the location of Face Stockholm.

Photo courtesy Historic Hudson

The map of the Third Ward in the 1873 Beers Atlas indicates that the building on the south side of Warren Street, across Fourth Street from the Presbyterian Church, belonged at that time to J. Clark.
  

The reporter for the Daily Star was invited to take a tour of the facility under construction and enthusiastically recounted for his readers what he saw, heard, and learned.
By the politeness of Mr. F. we were lately shown through the different portions of the contemplated manufactory and furnished with some hints as to what will be the character and extent of the business they have undertaken. We first visited the upper story, the only one yet completed. A more animated spectacle we have seldom witnessed. Between the incessant rattling of the sewing machines, and the rapid elbow movements of the other more intelligent agents of industry, the room was to the ear and eye much like a bee hive. But there were no drones, nor kings nor queens. All were intent upon their work; not with a prison aspect of servitude and fear of punishment, but with cheerful looks and contented demeanor, such as the willing laborer wears when satisfied with his (or her) lot and sure of good reward. . . .
The second story of the building is to be fitted up similar to the third and supplied with machines, tables and operatives. When it is ready--which it is expected to be in a month or so--no less than two hundred and fifty women will be required to fill up the seats. This number is absolutely wanted to do the work of the establishment. And here we may as well say that Messrs Clark & Co. are determined to go ahead with the enterprise and must have employees from some quarter or other. They offer liberal advantages to all in our city and vicinity who desire to earn an honest and respectable livelihood with the needle, and do not wish, if they can avoid it, to go elsewhere with their patronage. There is, we are sorry to say, a manifest reluctance on the part of some to enter the establishment. They do not like the idea of "associating with factory operatives," &c. Now this is all sheer nonsense. Any female who finds it necessary to labor to maintain herself need not hesitate one moment about going there to work. The establishment is in competent hands; no irregularity is allowed; all is quiet, clean, respectable; and no one is necessarily compelled to associate with uncongenial neighbors, either in or out of the building. 
In addition to promoting the establishment as a respectable place for "any female who finds it necessary to labor to maintain herself," the article in the Daily Star also gives a hint about the kind of clothing being manufactured for sale in N. C. Folger's clothing store in New Orleans.
Among other things we noticed several hundred suits of coarse blue satinett, designed for slaves, as a market day attire. The vests are of a uniform style, colored and figured up to the highest standard of negro taste. Many of the garments are of first class material, style and finish, lavishly stitched.
One of the lines of clothing that N. C. Folger specialized in was something called "Plantation Goods." It was emblazoned on the facade of his store at the corner of Old Levee and Custom House Street.    

This two-page advertisement for N. C. Folger's Clothing Store, found in Southern Rural Almanac, and Plantation and Garden Calendar, for 1851-1853, 1856, enumerates the various items in "My General Depot of Plantation Clothing." 


Steven Deyle, in Carry Me Back: The Domestic Slave Trade in American Life, notes that N. C. Fogler's Wholesale & Retail Clothing Store was located in the midst of New Orlean's slave-trading district. Deyle explains: "Some clothing makers . . . specialized in providing new outfits for those about to be sold. . . . In New Orleans, N. C. Folger & Son called 'the attention of Traders to their immense assortment' of more than 4,000 blue suits, as well as drawers, undershirts, and socks  to be worn by male slaves at their sale." (Folger's son, Charles W., joined the firm in 1855.)

New York Public Library Picture Collection
A chapter called "The Business of Slavery," in the book Slavery in America, edited by Kenneth Morgan, notes that in October 1857, a slave trader named John White bought forty identical blue suits "for the men in his yard." The suits were purchased from N. C. Folger, who presented White with a bill for $585.25.

In November 1860, two months before Louisiana seceded from the Union, the Daily Star reported the N. C. Folger had ordered the manufactory here in Hudson "to stop manufacturing goods for the Southern market till further orders." On September 18, 1861, an item appeared in the New-York Daily Tribune that suggests they may have resumed manufacturing goods for the Southern market but not necessarily "plantation goods" as before.

Ten days later, the Red Hook Weekly Journal repeated the story as it appeared in the Columbia Republican, in a manner that suggests the seizure may have been based on assumption.


It is not known how this matter was resolved, but the rest of what Gossips has discovered about N. C. Folger will be told in the next and final installment.
COPYRIGHT 2016 CAROLE OSTERINK

Public Hearings Happening This Week

There are four public hearings of interest coming up this week: three being held, back to back, by the Planning Board on Thursday, December 8, beginning at 6:30 p.m.; one being held by the Historic Preservation Commission on Friday, December 9, at 10 a.m.

The first of the three Planning Board Public hearings involves the proposal to combine three parcels on Columbia Street--209, 211, and 213--into one site, demolish an existing building, and construct a new facility for Greater Hudson Promise Neighborhood.

 

The second public hearing involves the proposal to convert the ground floor retail space at 757 Columbia Street, once the Stoddard Corner Bookshop, into a "board game cafe," which would serve food to be eaten in or taken out.


The third public hearing to be held by the Planning Board on Thursday involves the proposal to convert 214-216 Warren Street, until this past Saturday the Savoia Bar & Lounge, unto a nine-room hotel with event space on the ground floor.



The Historic Preservation Commission's single public hearing concerns the application submitted by the prospective new owner of 718-720 Union Street for a certificate of appropriateness to demolish the building that now stands there in preparation for constructing a residence and sculpture studio on the site.


The Planning Board's public hearings begin at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, December 8. The HPC's public hearing begins at 10 a.m. on Friday, December 9. All take place in the Council Chamber at City Hall.
COPYRIGHT 2016 CAROLE OSTERINK

Monday, December 5, 2016

Sanford Gifford's Patron N. C. Folger: Part 2

Frederick Fitch Folger
When the economy recovered from the Panic of 1837, both Folger brothers--Nathan C. and Frederick F.--seemed to do very well. Frederick made enough money from the hardware and ship chandlery business he started in 1842 to enable him to retire from active involvement in the firm in 1853, at the age of 41. He left the day-to day operations of the firm presumably to his brother Lafayette and, "while still retaining a large interest in the New Orleans business," returned to Hudson. The next year, he purchased the "Bronson Place"--now a National Historic Landmark and undoubtedly a significant house at the time--from Dr. Oliver Bronson and named it "Glenwood."

Meanwhile, his brother Nathan wasn't doing badly either. In 1849, he  started his new business in partnership with Thomas N. Blake but soon became the sole proprietor. In 1854, same year Frederick acquired the Bronson House, Nathan built for himself a house in New Orleans that was lauded as a "splendid edifice" in the New Orleans Delta on October 30, 1854. The article was reprinted in the Hudson Daily Star on November 11.

 
 

Although Nathan never moved back to Hudson, he never lost his connection with his native city. As we know, he commissioned two paintings--views of Mt. Merino and the Catskills--by Sanford Robinson Gifford, which were completed in June 1851. The Daily Star reports that he also ordered other things from craftsmen in Hudson. 

In 1853, Nathan Folger ordered "six beautiful buggies" from C. Bortle, who had a shop on Allen Street near the river. At the time, the Star commented, "We are glad to know that in his prosperity, he does not forget the mechanics of his native city." In 1859, Lathan Avery, whose shop was on the east side of the Public Square, shipped a dozen sets of harnesses "to N. C. Folger, Esq., at New Orleans, to whose order they were manufactured." In August 1860, the Daily Star praised the "compositions of jewel work" created by W. W. Hannah, "a leading jeweler of this city," which were ordered by N. C. Folger of New Orleans. As with the Gifford paintings, the jewelry was displayed at Hannah's store before being shipped to New Orleans. The Daily Star described the pieces in this way.

 

N. C. Folger's connection with Hudson became even greater in 1857, when he established a manufacturing facility here to supply his retail clothing store in New Orleans, but more about that in the next installment.
COPYRIGHT 2016 CAROLE OSTERINK

A Footnote to the Folger Story

The lives of both Nathan C. and Frederick F. Folger were impacted by a financial crisis in 1837. Before resuming the story of the brothers from Hudson and their business exploits in New Orleans, Gossips offers a brief explanation of the Panic of 1837, considered to be "the worst economic depression that the young nation had yet known." The story involves someone else from Columbia County: President Martin Van Buren, who took office in 1837. The principal source for this retelling is the Library of Congress website America's Story from America's Library. 

Although the Panic of 1837 happened the year Van Buren took office, its causes go back to the policies of his predecessor, Andrew Jackson, whom Van Buren had served as secretary of state, vice president, and close adviser. Jackson brought an end to the Second Bank of the United States, which he thought exercised too much control over credit and economic opportunity, by moving federal funds to smaller state banks. The reckless credit policies of these banks led to massive speculation in Western lands. By the time Van Buren took office, the banks were in trouble. They started restricting credit and calling in loans; bank depositors tried to withdraw their funds. During the five-year depression that followed the Panic of 1837, many banks closed, businesses failed, thousands lost their land, and there was unprecedented unemployment. 

Library of Congress
Van Buren was blamed for the financial crisis and given the nickname "Martin Van Ruin." When he ran for reelection in 1840, he was soundly defeated.

Click here for a comprehensive analysis of the causes of the Panic of 1837.
COPYRIGHT 2016 CAROLE OSTERINK

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Sanford Gifford's Patron N. C. Folger: Part 1

On Friday, Gossips published an item from the Daily Star for June 4, 1851, announcing that two paintings by Sanford R. Gifford, which were commissioned by N. C. Folger of New Orleans, were temporarily on view at W. W. Hannah's jewelry store. Today, as promised, we share some information discovered about N. C. Folger, the man who commissioned the paintings.

Nathan Cyprian Folger, as it turns out, was the brother of Frederick Fitch Folger, whose life is documented in Columbia County at the End of the Century. Since the lives of the two brothers have some interesting parallels, they will be explored together--at least initially. The information about N. C. Folger comes primarily from a website called Nova Nurismatics and old newspapers; the information about F. F. Folger is from the biographical sketch found in Columbia County at the End of the Century.  

Nathan and Frederick were the sons of Obed Worth Folger and Mary Mayhew Fitch. Obed was born in Nantucket in 1784, the son of Nathan Folger. Although Nathan Folger was not one of the original Proprietors (the two Folgers that were Proprietors were Benjamin and Walter), Nathan found his way to Hudson not long after. He is mentioned in Franklin Ellis's History of Columbia County as being one of the ringers of the official bell hung in the steeple of the First Presbyterian Church in 1792. Tax records indicate that in 1803 Obed W. Folger owned property in Hudson. In 1807, he was one of the incorporators of the Hudson Academy. The federal census for 1810 (the year Nathan Cyprian Folger was born) show Obed Folger and his wife and children living in Hudson. Columbia County at the End of the Century, however, indicates that when Frederick Fitch Folger was born in 1812 the family was living in Delaware County.  

Mary Fitch Folger
Around 1819, Obed and Mary returned to Hudson. At that time, they had seven children: four sons and three daughters. (Strangely, when Mary Fitch Folger died in December 1884, having achieved the remarkable age of 100 years and 11 months and the status of being the oldest resident of Columbia County, her obituary in the Albany Journal indicated that she was "the mother of two sons--N. C. Folger, late of New Orleans, and F. F. Folger of Hudson.")    

It is not known--to Gossips, at least--how Obed W. Folger made his money, but it appears he was quite well off. The history of Cavell House that accompanies its nomination for local landmark status suggests that the original house may have been built by Obed W. Folger sometime around 1819, coinciding with his return to Hudson. It's possible then that Nathan, who would have been 9 in 1819, and Frederick, who would have been 7, grew up with their five other siblings in this mansion on Prospect Hill. 

We  know that Frederick was educated at Hudson Academy, "then a noted institution of learning," and it is very likely that Nathan was as well, since their father had been one of the incorporators of the institution.

It is unclear what the appeal was, but both Nathan and Frederick and a third brother, Lafayette, went to New Orleans as young men to seek their fortunes. Nathan, the oldest of the three, was the first to go, arriving in New Orleans on New Year's Day 1830, when he would have been not quite 20 years old. He immediately became involved in the retail clothing business and soon opened his own store: Nathan C. Folger, Boys' and Children's Clothing. Sometime in 1837, Nathan's business failed, and he left New Orleans and went to New York City for the next five years. 

Meanwhile, the biography of Frederick in Columbia County at the End of the Century indicates that, in the same year that Nathan's business failed, Frederick arrived in New Orleans:
While still a young man, scarce twenty-five years of age [Frederick was born on December 24, 1812], he was offered a position in a mercantile house in New Orleans with liberal pay and an opportunity for advancement. The commercial crisis of 1837, which, a year after his arrival in New Orleans, caused a contraction of all business enterprises, compelled his employers to reduce their force of clerks; but Mr. Folger, having proved his ability and made himself of special value to his employers, was retained with increased salary.
In 1837, a third Folger brother, Lafayette, was also in New Orleans. His obituary, which appeared in the New Orleans Times-Democrat in June 1882, recounts that he "came to New Orleans from his birthplace, Hudson, New York, in 1835, at the age of 20, with the world before him." He entered into the clothing business Nathan, but when Nathan's business failed, and Nathan decamped to New York City, Lafayette stayed on in New Orleans.

In 1842, Nathan returned to New Orleans, but nothing is known of him until 1849, when he entered into a partnership with a former competitor, Thomas N. Blake. Within a few years, Nathan became the sole proprietor of the business.

The year 1842, the year Nathan returned to New Orleans, was also significant for Frederick. Here's how his biography in Columbia County at the End of the Century tells it:
In 1842, through a reorganization of the house with which he was connected, an interest therein was offered him; but his keen foresight led him to decline the offer, whereupon a high position with a munificent salary was created and given him, in order that the firm might retain his services. However, the effects of the recent financial crisis were more than the house could overcome, and in 1842 it went into liquidation and all its interests were purchased by Mr. Folger. Thus he entered the hardware and ship chandlery trade, taking as a partner his brother, under the style of Frederick F. Folger & Co.    
It seems likely that the brother with whom he partnered in the hardware and ship chandlery business was Nathan, who had just returned to New Orleans from five years spent in New York City. Lafayette was also involved in Frederick's new business. His obituary indicates that, in 1847, Lafayette "started in the hardware business with another brother, Mr. F. F. Folger, and in this house he continued until his death."

We'll pause here in the story of N. C. Folger, who commissioned two paintings by Sanford Robinson Gifford early in the artist's career, but there is much more to tell. Rest assured that Gossips will tell it in the next couple of days.
COPYRIGHT 2016 CAROLE OSTERINK

The History of Hudson Before It Was Hudson

We often think of the history of Hudson as beginning in 1783, when, soon after the end of the Revolutionary War, Seth and Thomas Jenkins discovered the site while on their search to find a seaport far from the sea, but the history of Hudson extends back in time more than a century before that.

On  Sunday, December 11, as part of the autumn lecture series sponsored by Historic Hudson and the Columbia County Historical Society, Dr. David William Voorhees will present a lecture entitled "Before the Proprietors: The Dutch Port of Claverack Landing." The lecture will describe the prosperous community developed by
Dutch inhabitants of the region which served as an anchorage for ships carrying raw materials from inland farms to markets downriver and delivering in exchange European manufactured goods to inland communities and explore the history and events that shaped the port of Claverack Landing for 120 years before the arrival of the Proprietors.


The lecture begins at 4 p.m. on Sunday, December 11, at Stair Galleries, 549 Warren Street. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit the website of Historic Hudson or the Columbia County Historical Society
COPYRIGHT 2016 CAROLE OSTERINK

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Winter Walk Awards

In an hour and a half, the 20th annual Winter Walk will begin. To help you chart your course up and down Warren Street, the Hudson Opera House has just announced the winners of the Winter Walk Window Decorating Contest. Declaring that the task of awarding specific prizes to individual windows was impossible, the anonymous judges decided to create four categories "to celebrate the imagination, care, and effort that shopkeepers put into making their holiday displays so beautiful." 

Listed in geographical order by category, the winners are:

Best Community Windows
“Love is All,” 238 Warren Street
Mrs. Zito’s Kindergarten Class, Hudson Police Department, 427 Warren Street
The Second Show, 519 Warren Street
Bee’s Knees, 725 Warren Street

Most Colorful Windows
Wm. Farmer & Sons (Purple), 20 South Front Street
Verdigris (Purple), 135 Warren Street
Source Adage (Red), 314 Warren Street 
Red Dot (Red), 321 Warren Street
White Whale (Silver), 410 Warren Street
Finch (Green and Red), 555 Warren Street

Keeping the Tradition Alive
Rural Residence, 316 Warren Street
Talbott & Arding Cheese and Provisions, 323 Warren Street
Hudson Home, 366 Warren Street
The Cascades, 407 Warren Street
Flowerkraut, 722 Warren Street

Windows that Popped Out
Inky Editions, 112 South Front Street
Paper + Goods, 204 Warren Street
Hawkins New York, 339 Warren Street
Look, 608 Warren Street

The judges also awarded two "Special Appreciation" citations to acknowledge the generous community spirit that makes our city so great. The first goes to Taconic "for its decade-long, unstinting financial support of Winter Walk. The second goes to the Bee's Knees for decorating the parking meters to ensure that shoppers and visitors know that parking is free for the month of December.