At the time, Gossips mistakenly indicated that the houses had been built by Fred W. Jones, owner of the New York Coral and Shell Marble Company, who, in the latter part of the 19th century, lived directly across the street. It turns out that the houses were probably not built until after Jones's death in 1901, and they are associated with the Ten Broecks, who owned all the land on that side of the road and for whom Ten Broeck Lane was named. At one time, this stand of houses was known as "Ten Broeck Row."
|Photo 1928 courtesy Peter Cipkowski|
Still, through the months that the porches remained, the hope that they might be preserved endured . . . until just a few days ago. Now they are gone.
COPYRIGHT 2016 CAROLE OSTERINK