|Jonesburg in 1926 Photo courtesy Peter Cipkowski|
He explained that most of the houses now have new roofs, and work has been done on the foundations, but the project is not progressing very fast because the developer, someone from Dutchess County, wants to ready all the houses at once, and one of them is still occupied.
According to Florio, the houses will be changing in appearance. The plan is to remove the porches, which were the nicest features of the houses as they appeared back in 1926. Lamentably, there is nothing to prevent that from happening. Greenport has no historic preservation laws; it doesn't even have zoning laws. Florio also told Gossips that it hasn't been decided if the original clapboard will be restored, or if the houses will be re-sided.
A welcome change in appearance is that there will be no parking in front of the buildings. All parking will be behind the buildings.
COPYRIGHT 2015 CAROLE OSTERINK
Correction: This row of houses was not built by Fred W. Jones. Rather it was built by the Ten Broecks, for whom Ten Broeck Lane was named, soon after Jones's death in 1901. At one time, this stand of houses was known as "Ten Broeck Row."