Since April 2020, when a metal deck was installed to halt the building's continuing deterioration, the Dunn warehouse has retreated to the back burner of the City's concerns.
On the maps below, the first from 1858 and the second from 1873, the "gas house" (the Hudson Gasification Works) is the round structure. What is now the Dunn warehouse is the smaller building at the corner of Broad and Water streets.
Perhaps the larger building that appears on both maps, at the corner of Franklin and Broad streets, is the so-called "Mad House" where Captain J. T. Haviland stored his bales of hay.
One thing did not change in Hudson from the 19th to the 20th century: the cause of the fire. "The mischievousness of boys" cited as the cause of the fire in 1871 was also the cause of the fires that destroyed the old St. Mary's Academy in 1973, Candy Lane in 1979, and Hudson Electrical Supply in 1994.
COPYRIGHT 2021 CAROLE OSTERINK