Friday, December 27, 2013

Reviewing the Year Past: 1913--Part 2

Yesterday, Gossips began presenting a series of articles that appeared in the Hudson Evening Register in the early days of 1914. They inventoried the improvements and developments that had taken place in Hudson during the previous year, 1913. Today we continue this century-old review, with the addition of illustrations and annotations.

Dobler Brewing company, Albany, purchased property occupied by Alexander Smith at 17 North Front street. [The building acquired by Dobler Brewing Company was a saloon.]

Walter H. Burch purchased two-story building at 549 Prospect street of William H. Malone.

Hotaling's Bottling works succeeds W. W. Rice & Co., in building opposite First National bank, drug store being discontinued. [The Hudson directory for 1912 gives the address of W. W. Rice, druggist, as 322 Warren Street, now the location of Warren Street Antiques. In 1913, the First National Bank was located in what it now the West Room of the Hudson Opera House.]

From Illustrated Hudson, N.Y.
Wilson H. Moore purchased property at 239 Warren Street of the Misses Mary and Emma H. Rogers.

C. M. Thorpe bought of Jonas Rossman piece of land on Green street, erecting residence thereon. [Curtiss M. Thorpe was a partner in Van Wyck-Thorpe Company, coal dealers located on South Front Street, opposite the train station. In 1912, Thorpe and his wife, Susan, lived at 67 North Fifth Street, the southernmost dwelling in the larger of the two "Armory houses." The 1920 census has them living at 151 Green Street, presumably the house they built in 1913.]

Courtesy Bruce Mitchinson
Joseph Palazzini, formerly of Central Square, opened shoe repairing shop at 310 Warren street. [Central Square was at Warren and Fourth streets. Palazzini's shop was probably located in the shop partially visible at the far right in the picture below. In 1913, Captain John Hathaway's stunning Federal home still stood at 310 Warren Street, but it must have been significantly altered and degraded if a shoe repair shop relocated there.]

Courtesy Historic Hudson


Courtesy Historic Hudson


















Twelve-foot perpendicular electrical sign placed on exterior of Putnam's furniture store. [Putnam & Allen was located at 614 Warren Street, where Gris is now.]

Installation of sanitary drinking fountain and new billiard tables by Masonic club at St. John's hall. [This was the era of the WCTU fountain, when drinking fountains were seen as a means of keeping men from going into saloons to quench their thirst. This same year, 1913, the Women's Christian Temperance Union of Columbia County resolved to erect a drinking fountain in Hudson, which two years later was installed outside the YMCA in the 400 block of Warren Street, the building where Swallow is now located. St. John's Hall, on the southeast corner of Third and Union streets, is now Mid-Hudson Media.]

Courtesy Historic Hudson
New York Cloak and Suit Co. moved from 548 to 520 Warren street. Paris Millinery Co. moving from the latter apartments to 548 Warren. [The idea of retail establishments moving in and out of 520 Warren Street is puzzling since from 1907 that address was the location of the National Hudson River Bank, the building that is now City Hall.]

Children's play room established in Allen street school under direction of Rev. Hamory. 

Grocery business of Charles T. Ball at 235 Warren Street and Mena Hahn at 14 South Front Street, discontinued.

Improvements made to interior and exterior of N[ew] Y[ork] C[entral] depot.

Fred Wheeler disposed of cafe at 713 Warren street to Joseph Orris, who later sells establishment to John Finley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment