From 1830 to 1850, Dr. Samuel White, a pioneer in the humane care of the mentally ill, operated the Hudson Lunatic Asylum at 400 State Street, assisted by his son Dr. George H. White. On February 11, 1840, this report of the asylum's work during the previous year appeared in the Columbia Republican.
HUDSON LUNATIC ASYLUM--During the year 1839, 84 patients have been under the care of Drs. S. & G. H. White, the proprietors of this institution--to wit:
Recent cases . . . . . . . . . 23
Chronic do. . . . . . . . . . . 58
Intemperate . . . . . . . . . 3
Of the recent cases that were removed during the year, 15 recovered, 3 improved, 2 died. Of the chronic cases removed, 9 recovered, 11 much improved, 9 improved, 1 died. Of the intemperate removed, 2 reformed. Remaining under treatment, Jan. 1st, 1840, 32. 451 cases have enjoyed the benefit of this institution since it was opened, a period of nine and a half [years] ago. The quiet patients continue to enjoy family worship, as heretofore.
Post a Comment