The article heralding the dedication appeared in the Evening Register for December 31, 1915, and was accompanied by photographs of the Hudson Board of Education and the faculty of Hudson High School. Because pictures in newspapers were rare a hundred years ago, and because these are particularly interesting, both are reproduced below.
Here are the names of the people in the picture, from left to right: (standing) S. Mitchell Rainey, William Kritzman, and Superintendent C. S. Williams, for whom the Charles Williams School, now the Second Ward Foundation, was named; (seated) Mrs. J. W. Gillette, John F. Brennen, and H. S. Rivenburgh.
The captions give not only the name of each member of the Hudson High School faculty but also the person's degree and the subject matter taught. That information is repeated here: (Row 1) Guy P. Davis, B. S., Principal; Mabel C. Dowsland, Expression; (Row 2) Margaret A. Tymeson, A. M., Physics and Algebra; Eleanore Bowman, Ph. B., Library, Assistant Teacher, and Orchestra; Bertha R. Collins, A. B., Chemistry and Biology; (Row 3) Margaret Stevens, A. M., German; Prof. Ernest T. Bond, Director of Vocal Music; Ruth S. Rafferty, A. B., English; (Row 4) Ethelwyn Wardles, Mathematics; Everett S. Hewes, Commercial Department; Alice Ruth Parker, A. M., Latin.
COPYRIGHT 2015 CAROLE OSTERINK