GAZETTE STARTED 129 YEARS AGO ON APRIL 7
On April 7, 1785, Ashbel Stoddard and Charles H. Webster instituted the Hudson Weekly Gazette. A year later Mr. Stoddard became sole owner. The printing office at that time was located on the south-east corner of Warren and Third and long known as the "Stoddard Corner." The Gazette was reorganized in 1824 by Oliver Wiswall, who was Mayor of Hudson in 1827-28, and other prominent Democrats. The Gazette came into possession of P. D. Carrique in 1834. It was later sold to R. F. & M. P. Williams in 1857 and in 1861 came under the sole management of M. P. Williams, who later founded the Evening Register. Both of the papers are now printed by the Record Printing and Publishing company.
In our "40 years ago" notes from the Register of 1874 the death of Judge Edmonds is recorded, who had 50 years before taken the editorship of the Gazette.