The retrospect of the past twelve months in Hudson, showing the many important changes, improvements, etc., occurring, the first installment being in last night's Register, proves interesting. We mentioned some of the industrial institutions experiencing prosperous times, and we might add that Arkinson brick yard; the different bottlers and mineral water manufacturers; the three lumber concerns; the furniture manufacturers, tobacconists and cigar manufacturers, the upholsterers, the printing establishments, etc., had a successful year, too. The retrospect follows:
Mary Adams purchased of Mary A. Crouse the property on Fulton street between Second and Third streets. [In 1913, Columbia Street from Third Street to the river was known as Fulton Street.]
"Christmas Club," novel savings idea, put into effect by the First National bank.
Assembly passed bill allowing Hudson to borrow $27,800 for street improvements.
City bakeries found in very good condition by Health Inspector Armstrong.
|Courtesy Historic Hudson|
Improvements made by New York telephone company here, company extending its lines in the county.
Cottage at 15 Worth avenue sold to Charles Hudson, of Greenport, by Frank Mesick.
Joseph W. Lomery purchased residence at 447 State street of Miss Ellen Fitzgerald.
Cooking class organized at St. Mary's Parish with Miss Lillian Randall, instructor.
Addition to northwestern part of William Petry Inc. garage, by Fred Simmons. Building was erected for storage, etc., of Ford automobiles. [William Petry's garage had two locations in Hudson: at 405-407 Diamond Street and at 724-730 Columbia Street.]
|From Hudson Evening Register, October 7, 1915|
Hyman Miller, of Hudson, purchased George Shafer's meat market at Philmont.
Frank Pough opened barber shop and continued tobacco and cigar business at old Macy stand, formerly conducted by Charles H. Bump. [C. H. Bump sold tobacco at 406 Warren Street.]
Columbia County Auto association formed here, experiencing prosperous year.
Harold Fritts, of Hudson, purchased property of Henry Fleming in Claverack.
Gifford-Wood company began erection of addition to its plant, which will be for sheet iron department.
Kingman Hardware company, of 557 Warren street, added to line of hardware a stock of gasoline engines.
Ice crop poor one; residents forced to pay high price for it.
Ray Dallas opened grocery store on State street opposite Short street.
Buildings at 252 and 254 Montgomery street, owned by Genetz Burnice, sold to Jacob Liepshutz.
James Connelly, cigar manufacturer, occupied store formerly occupied by Ball & Co.
William Lee, laundryman, moved business from Warren Street, just above Third, to Grahne building on Central Square.
Large perpendicular electrical sign placed on front of New York candy store. [The New York Candy Store was located at 407 Warren Street, where The Cascades is today.]
Frank A. Engel, of Hudson, began grocery business in Mellenville.
Campaign to pay off mortgage and to meet the expenses of local Y.M.C.A. a success.
|From Illustrated Hudson, N.Y.|
John Scelly, former Hillsdale hotel man, purchased the New St. Charles hotel on Public Square.
Ferryboat George H. Power made first trip across river on March 10.
|Courtesy Historic Hudson|
Frederick A. Flick purchased autobus route between here and Philmont from W. G. Williams, later disposing of it to Shute & MacIntyre.
Improvements made on interior and exterior of New Curtis House on South Front street.
Large electrical sign placed on Jacob Martin's saloon by C. H. Evans' Sons. [Jacob Martin's saloon was located at 2 Warren Street. C. H. Evans' Sons owned the brewery that produced Evans Ale.]
Railway Steel Spring company, having a branch shop here, declared a dividend of 2 per cent. This was first dividend on common stock since 1908.