Sunday, March 13, 2016

Slow Down . . . You're in Hudson

Last week, the City of Hudson took possession of a brand-new Stalker Radar trailer--a speed monitoring board--purchased with grant funds that Rob Perry, superintendent of public works, had applied for back in 2012.

This afternoon, driving back into Hudson on Route 9, I noticed that the board had been positioned at the city line, where Route 9 becomes Worth Avenue and the speed limit drops from 45 mph to 30 mph. Fully aware of the exact spot where the reduction in the speed limit occurs, I was surprised to see, when I noticed the board, that I was traveling at 37 mph. I braked to slow the car and rolled into the city at exactly, according to the board, 30 mph.

Curious to know if the board was having the same effect on others, I checked with some folks I know who live near the southern end of Worth Avenue. My limited sampling indicates that the traffic entering the city on Route 9 is definitely traveling more slowly, but the real test, my sources say, will be tomorrow, when the truck traffic returns.

Speaking of the new device, HPD Chief Ed Moore commented on Facebook, "In response to many public concerns, we have stepped up our traffic enforcement. The trailer will help us with that. We will target areas where we have received the most complaints. Hopefully it will condition some motorists to change their driving habits."
COPYRIGHT 2016 CAROLE OSTERINK

4 comments:

  1. Any chance a camera could be installed with the sign to auto-generate tickets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think a traffic sign that generated tickets will make the city of Hudson more friendly.

      Delete
    2. I think it would make it safer. People being allowed to speed is friendly?

      Delete
  2. I think it's excellent. We had a similar experience: also knew where the line is, but it slowed us right down.

    ReplyDelete