Thursday, July 20, 2017

Fear of Change

Those of us who own houses in Hudson fear change when it comes to our property assessment. Some of us, who have lived through a few assessors, also fear change when it comes to assessors. But we are going to have to deal with the latter before the former, because Cheryl Kaszluga, our current assessor, has announced her resignation.

In a letter to the Hudson residents, Kaszluga, who was appointed to the position by Mayor William Hallenbeck in November 2013, explains that she has accepted a new full-time position in Dutchess County. The letter continues:
I have put many hours of thought into this decision. I want to thank all the residents of Hudson for their warm welcoming. I really enjoyed working as your assessor, and I have high hopes that you will be treated with respect and fairness in the coming years. Hudson will always have a soft spot in my heart. My mom grew up in Hudson after my grandmother settled here from England. I am excited for my new endeavor and sad to say goodbye.
We wish Kaszluga success in her new undertaking and Mayor Hamilton success in appointing a new assessor for Hudson.
COPYRIGHT 2017 CAROLE OSTERINK

4 comments:

  1. Shucks, I liked her. She was helpful and informative. BTW, she said that Hudson will likely do another re-evaluation of properties in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. The Common Council passed a resolution in February to make that happen: http://www.cityofhudson.org/content/MeetingCategories/View/1/2017:field=meetings;/content/Meetings/View/362:field=documents;/content/Documents/File/3647.pdf.

      Delete
  2. But doesn't state law mandate a 2% per annum cap on property taxes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What effect will the re-evaluation have on the affordable housing problem in Hudson? I don't think it will be pretty.

    ReplyDelete