Saturday, January 2, 2016

A Hudson Brush with Fame

Actor Wayne Rogers, best known for his role as Trapper John McIntyre on the TV series M*A*S*H*, died on New Year's Eve at the age of 82. His obituary in The New York Times recalls that Rogers made his movie debut in Odds Against Tomorrow, the 1959 film for which Hudson was a central location. Rogers played the soldier who picks a fight in a bar with Earle Slater, the character played by Robert Ryan. The bar, however, is not located in Hudson but in New York City.

COPYRIGHT 2016 CAROLE OSTERINK

2 comments:

  1. I was just looking at my neighbor's copy of "Odd's Against Tomorrow" on DVD, and I was delighted by the image resolution of the historic footage. Before now, I've only seen blurry stills.

    Washington Square, in front of the courthouse, was breathtaking for its many American Elms, all of them since taken by one or both of Hudson's two elm diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I watched "Odds Against Tomorrow" for the first time just last night. We enjoyed seeing all the sites around Hudson. My husband's grandmother had actually walked in to Sidney Pointier on Columbia St. while the movie was being filmed here. We commented in noticing a young Wayne Rogers also. RIP Mr.Rogers.

    ReplyDelete