Sunday, October 7, 2012

Hudson in 1905: Part 41

The following is an excerpt from the booklet Illustrated Hudson, N.Y., published in 1905.

MR. BYRON PARKER--Plumber, Gas and Steam Fitter. No. 436 Warren street. In a general review of Hudson and its progressive institutions, it is quite necessary to make honorable mention of that "old reliable" plumber and gas fitter, Mr. Byron Parker. This house is the oldest of its kind in the city, having been established for thirty-five years. Mr. Parker, by personal attention to his business and energetic methods, has steadily increased his trade, until now it necessitates the help of eight skilled and careful workmen. These men are all able to take a plumbing job and do it in a neat and satisfactory manner. Some good samples of his work may be seen in the plumbing and heating system of the Court House and also of the Fireman's Home. A profitable specialty is made of job work of all sorts; the firm is also the agent for the famous Welshbach [sic] light. Mr. Parker carries a large stock of goods in his line and makes every effort to please his customers. The proprietor himself, and indeed the business, has always been closely identified with all the makes for progress and business energy in Hudson.

436 Warren Street today--after 142 years, still Byron Parker
Gossips Note: The courthouse that existed in 1905 was this one designed by Henry S. Moul. It was completed in 1900 and destroyed by fire in 1907.

The Fireman's Home mentioned was very likely this building designed by Michael O'Connor, which was constructed in 1893 and demolished in 1965.

The "Welshbach light" probably refers to a gas light with a metal filament mantle invented by Austrian scientist Carl Auer von Welsbach.

1 comment:

  1. Byron Parker - fascinating interior - was originally a house with a stone courtyard leading to the barn - go inside - its all still there - all that was done was the walls were removed to make one large space but the buildings posts are still intact as well as the stone courtyard!

    The building had a fire on the top floor. At that time it was easier to just remove the burnt section - hence the chopped down facade of today.