Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Hudson in 1905: Part 58

The following is an excerpt from the booklet Illustrated Hudson, N.Y., published in 1905.

THE GREAT ATLANTIC AND PACIFIC TEA COMPANY--603 Warren street. In the general history of business successes of this country there is no line of retail stores that have attained a greater degree of fame in the years in which it has been in operation than that of the GREAT ATLANTIC AND PACIFIC TEA COMPANY, with its 265 stores scattered throughout the length and breath of the land. The teas, coffees, spices, groceries and other specialties are of the purest and best, and owing to the company's facilities for purchasing in large quantities and their being manufacturers and growers of many of the products which they handle, they are thereby able to sell at the lowest margin of profit.

The Hudson branch of this firm has been established here for twenty-five years, and is one of the finest houses of the many which this firm owns. The store is centrally located, and the stock is attractively displayed at all times. Eight clerks are constantly employed, while three wagons deliver and travel the immediate territory. The business at this location is under the able management of Mr. J. H. Buck, and under his executive ability the trade of the house has greatly increased.

603 Warren Street today--part of Regan & Smith Antiques
Gossips Note: The building that now stands at 601-603 is not the building that was there in 1905, when the A&P was located at 603 Warren Street. The current building was built as an S. S. Kresge five-and-dime store sometime after 1922. In the first picture below, the bank building, now Bank of America, can be seen but not the Kresge building. The bank was built in 1922. The Kresge building appears in the second picture, which was taken possibly in the early 1930s.

1 comment:

  1. Yet another style of street light. Wonder how many styles have existed here besides our present prison lights.