|Ten Broeck Row in 1926|Photo courtesy Peter Cipkowski|
In February 2015, it was feared the row of houses was to be demolished. They were vacant, and notices had been posted on the doors. It turned out, however, that they were to be renovated. There was hope that the front porches might be spared and restored, and some effort was made to get that to happen, but alas, in April 2016, they came off. The original plan, as it was explained to Gossips by the Town of Greenport building inspector back in August 2015, was to change the orientation of the houses, putting their front doors in the back, giving access to a parking area. That plan seems to have changed, and recently little floating gables have appeared over the doors of a few of the houses.
This morning, a reader sent Gossips a picture that shows that the final vision for the little houses involves brickface on the facades.
|Photo: Robert Mechling|
COPYRIGHT 2017 CAROLE OSTERINK