Friday, September 4, 2015

The Scandal of 1922: Part XIV

When the trial of Chief John Cruise before the Commission of Public Safety came to an end on May 26, 1922, the members of the commission decided that they wanted to have the testimony transcribed so that they could study it carefully before rendering a decision. Exactly two months later, on Wednesday, July 26, the commission announced its decision. The Columbia Republican, which was published weekly, reported the news the following Tuesday, on August 1, 1922.
John Cruise, Jr., was on Wednesday afternoon, found guilty by the Commission of Public Safety of certain charges made against him, and was removed and dismissed as Chief of Police of the Hudson Police Department. In the decision of the Commission, however, he is appointed to the rank of Sergeant in the department, and is to receive back salary at Sergeant's pay from March 9th last, when he was suspended by the Commission, pending a hearing and a decision. 
The Commission's decision was made and filed at a special meeting. Following the decision Acting Chief of Police Conners was instructed to notify former Chief Cruise of the decision and to notify him to report for duty at 8 o'clock tomorrow morning. 
By this it was taken to mean that the former Chief had been made a day Sergeant and that the appointment will not have to do with the night patrol where the Night Sergeant is in charge. The difference between the Chief and Sergeant salaries in the local department is said to be only about $10 a month. 
Last evening when apprised of the decision, ex-Chief Cruise said that he did not have anything to say at that time. He wanted to first study the decision in full. It is believed that he will report for duty Friday. Whether he contemplates any further action was not known.
The Columbia Republican also published an editorial about the trial and the decision, which will have to wait for another time. A disaster has occurred. At, the server is down!

No comments:

Post a Comment