. . . or, in this case, the radio. Affordable housing in general and Bliss Towers in particular were topics of conversation when Tom DePietro was interviewed by Vern Cross on WGXC last week. In the interview, which can be heard here, the discussion of Bliss Towers begins at 21:52. At 23:05, Cross says he "heard that the new guy had resigned," duly admitting that it could be a rumor. (Cross used to be on the Hudson Housing Authority Board of Commissioners, but he resigned in January 2017.) The "new guy," of course, would be Anthony Laulette, who took the position of executive director of the Hudson Housing Authority on March 27.
The specter of razing Bliss Towers, which arises periodically but hasn't been seriously and publicly considered since 2010, resurfaced when DePietro pointed out that past schemes to demolish Bliss Towers had come a cropper because of the requirement that, before a public housing project could be demolished, an equal number of new dwelling units had to be provided. In the past, it was always concluded that there is simply not enough available space in Hudson to create 132 new low-income housing units, particularly since the plans put forward in 2010 involved building two-family townhouses instead of four-story apartment buildings, four stories being the maximum height allowed by Hudson code. According to DePietro (he says this at 24:00), the rules have changed, and providing an equal number of dwelling units is no longer required.
Gossips Note: At an Affordable Housing Hudson (AHH) forum in May, Anthony Laulette told the audience, "Bliss Towers is not going anywhere." At the request of Second Ward alderman Tiffany Garriga, who moderated the forum, he repeated the statement: "It's not going anywhere." You can watch Dan Udell's video of the forum on YouTube. Laulette's comments about Bliss Towers begin at 9:54.
COPYRIGHT 2017 CAROLE OSTERINK