It's the third paragraph--the third Whereas--that contains the misinformation, specifically this: "This roadway was originally constructed in the 1870s by the Jones Stone Quarry, then later used by the Atlas Cement plant as a link to the Hudson River. The route was built to accommodate two sets of railroad tracks and a truck road, both of which were used for decades."
Never mind that the name of Fred W. Jones's company was New York Coral and Shell Marble Company. Never mind that groundbreaking for the railroad happened in May 1874 but the railroad wasn't completed until March 1889. Never mind that the land originally acquired for the railroad was a strip through South Bay and on to Route 9 that was just one rod (16.5 feet) wide. Never mind that this c. 1893 post card image of South Bay shows Jones's "mountain railroad" as just a narrow ribbon through the bay.
The biggest misconception is the notion that there was a "truck road" through South Bay "for decades." The photograph below was taken around 1968. (Universal Atlas Cement Company, which owned the quarry and South Bay and the dock at the time the picture was taken, ceased operations in 1977.) The photograph shows the railroad tracks and a narrow little access road that runs along the north side of the tracks.
|Courtesy Hudson Area Library History Room|
The alleged "truck road" is highlighted in this version of the photo.
So this is the fabled "truck road," which Colarusso and the Greenport Planning Board allege has been used for decades. In fact, this "road" was never regularly used until after 2005, when St. Lawrence Cement, having been denied key coastal permits required to build a giant coal-fired cement plant in Greenport, leased the quarry and the dock to O&G Industries, and O&G started hauling gravel by truck to the dock.
COPYRIGHT 2017 CAROLE OSTERINK