We have sprung ahead, and this week ends with the first day of spring, which also marks one year since the first case of COVID-19 was reported in Columbia County. So, in the runup to the vernal equinox and a dubious anniversary, here's what's happening this week.
- On Monday, March 15, the Ides of March, the Tourism Board is having a special meeting at 5:00 p.m. I must confess I do not know the purpose of this meeting. I tuned in late to their meeting last Tuesday, catching only Alderman Rebecca Wolff (First Ward) complaining that Shared Streets is "giving over the street to people who make the natives uncomfortable," asserting, "That dynamic is really damaging," and Tourism Board member Tamar Adler insisting that the Shared Streets was not "giving over the street to businesses" but rather "opening the streets to pedestrians." Click here to join this week's Zoom meeting.
- On Tuesday, March 16, the ad hoc committee working on legislation regarding sidewalks meets at 5:30 p.m. At the last meeting of this committee, it was decided that Jeff Baker, counsel to the Council needed to make some adjustments to the latest version of the law, and when he had done that the new version would be posted on the city website. I trust the revisions have been made, but no new version can be found on the website. The link to the Zoom meeting, however, should be posted on the City of Hudson website sometime on Tuesday, prior to the meeting. Scroll down to the calendar.
- Also on Tuesday, March 16, the Common Council holds its regular monthly meeting at 7:00 p.m. At the Hudson Housing Authority Board of Commissioners meeting last Wednesday, Council president Tom DePietro announced that a developer would be making a presentation at the Council meeting about adapting John L. Edwards School for affordable housing. According to DePietro, the developer, whom he did not name, did not want a PILOT but only wanted to add a story or two to the building. The link to the Zoom meeting should be published on the City of Hudson website prior to the meeting. Scroll down to the calendar.
|Photo: Jonathan Simons|
- The Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) holds its regular monthly meeting. Click here to join the Zoom meeting.
- One of the subcommittees of the Hudson Housing Authority Board of Commissioners is holding a meeting. The city calendar indicates it is the Tenant Relations subcommittee; my notes from the last HHA meeting indicate it is the Development subcommittee. Whichever, click here to join the meeting and find out.
- Mayor Kamal Johnson is hosting a virtual "State of the Community" event, with Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Congressman Antonio Delgado, Assemblymember Didi Barrett, and Hudson City School District superintendent Maria Suttmeier. Click here to watch the event on YouTube.
- On Thursday, March 18, the Common Council ad hoc committee taking up the issue of alternate side of the street overnight parking will be meeting. Neither the time of the meeting nor the Zoom link is currently provided on the city calendar. It is hoped that will be rectified before Thursday.
COPYRIGHT 2021 CAROLE OSTERINK