|C. H. Evans & Sons Brewery, 1900-1910. Historic Hudson. Rowles Studio Collection.|
George Robinson, the successor to Faulkins, built in 1836 a new brewery and two malt houses, which were purchased in 1856 by Robert W. Evans (1818-1868) and his partner, James L. Phipps.  Born in Livingston, Columbia County, Evans removed to Hudson and was engaged in the dry goods business for eighteen years before acquiring Robinson’s brewing plant. 
The brewery and malt house, located near the North Bay, occupied approximately three acres of land along Mill Street. A second malt house stood in the northwest corner at the intersection of State and North Second Streets. In addition, Evans and Phipps owned a five-story warehouse at 127 Hudson Street in New York City. 
|Advertisement for R. H. Evans & Co., Hudson, New York. Hudson City Directory, 1862.|
|1873 Atlas Map. The Phipps & Evans Brewery appears in the upper right.|
Robert married Harriet E. Wescott and the couple had three children. Cornelius H. Evans (1841-1902), Robert’s only son, became a clerk in the office of the brewery at age nineteen and was made a partner in 1865. 
In 1868, Charles purchased his father’s interest in the brewery and continued the partnership with James L. Phipps under the name Phipps & Evans. After the death of Phipps in 1873, Cornelius took on as partners James H. Gaul and J. H. Phipps, son of his late partner, and the company operated under the name C. H. Evans & Co. In 1878, Cornelius purchased his partners’ interests and became sole owner of the brewery.
|C. H. Evans & Co., Hudson, New York. Illustration from The Daily Graphic: New York, December 2, 1887.|
Under Cornelius’s direction, the Evans brewery achieved tremendous success. By 1886, the company produced 550 barrels of ale per day. The firm had agents in Fishkill, Newburg, Kingston, Poughkeepsie, Peekskill and New York City. Evans ale was sold at bars and taverns in Hudson and in other parts of the state, as well as at hotels including the Flammery Hotel at Fishkill Landing and the Vanderbilt House on Forty-Second Street and Lexington Avenue in New York City. The specialty of the Evans brewery was “Indian Pale Ale,” noted for its light color and full-bodied flavor.
In 1864, Cornelius married Imogene Groat of Hudson. He and his wife had two sons, Robert W. Evans (b. 1865) and Cornelius H. Evans, Jr. (1866-1941).  Both sons became clerks in their father’s firm in the mid-1880s and were made partners in 1888. Ownership of the company passed to Robert and Cornelius, Jr., after their father’s death in 1902. The brothers continued to operate the brewery successfully until the 1920s, when they were forced to close it due to prohibition.
Standing on the north side of Warren Street between Fourth and Fifth Streets is the imposing two-and-one-half story brick Second Empire-style mansion built in 1870 by Cornelius H. Evans.  Evans erected his grand house shortly after acquiring his father’s interest in the brewing plant, which quickly became a thriving and prominent company in Hudson, reputedly producing the finest ales in the northeastern United States.
|C. H. Evans Mansion today|
 Captain Franklin Ellis, History of Columbia County, New York, with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers (Philadelphia, 1878), p. 159.
 Stephen B. Miller, Historical Sketches of Hudson (Hudson, New York, 1862), p. 31. See also Ellis, History of Columbia County, New York, p. 159.
 The history of the Evans brewery is discussed in an article on the city of Hudson published in the December 2, 1887, issue of The Daily Graphic: New York, p. 225. Ellis states that the brewery acquired by Robert W. Evans was started by George Robinson about 1820-1822. See Ellis, History of Columbia County, New York, p. 168.
 Henry P. Smith, Columbia County at the End of the Century (Hudson, New York, 1900), vol. II, p. 71.
 Ellis, History of Columbia County, New York, p. 168.