GIFFORD-WOOD COMPANY--This company was incorporated February 1, 1905, representing the consolidation of the properties and business interests of Gifford Brothers, Hudson, N.Y., and William T. Wood & Co., Arlington, Mass. The Hudson plant was established in 1814 by Elihu Gifford, who was succeeded in 1863 by his sons, William H. and James Gifford, who in turn were succeeded in 1889 by Malcolm and Arthur Gifford--sons of James Gifford. The business of William T. Wood & Co., of Arlington, Mass., was established in 1834, for the purpose of manufacturing ice plows, markers, tongs, and other tools required in the cutting, harvesting, and handling of ice, and have a modern equipped and extensive factory at Arlington (suburb of Boston), and have built up a most substantial trade in their line of goods throughout the United States and portions of Europe. This firm was composed of William E. and William B. Wood. The Hudson plant is of substantial character and one of the busiest in the city, employing on an average of seventy-five skilled mechanics, occupies a space of about 33,000 square feet, and bounded by some of the principal thoroughfares, Columbia, Greene [sic] and State streets, B. & A. Railroad, and Long Alley, with three and one-half story brick and stone buildings for their machine, forge and pattern department, and large brick building for their foundry and other work. Their facilities are well adapted for general foundry work, with capacity for making castings up to ten tons weight, and for the manufacturing of general machinery, pattern, forge and boiler work. About fifty per cent of the product consists of ice elevators, conveyers and lowering machinery for which the company has a very wide reputation and are almost the exclusive manufacturers of this character of work in the country. The corporation is officered as follows: William E. Wood, President; Malcolm Gifford, Vice-President; Arthur Gifford, Treasurer; A. E. Heard, Secretary; William B. Wood, Superintendent.
|The foundry building of the Gifford-Wood Company|
|The plant of the Gifford-Wood Company|
|The site of the Gifford-Wood Company today|